Chapter Seven

The day after the ball, Lacey and Zach packed up their bags and were off, flying home on his plane. Lacey wanted to get to talking about their next inventions and hear his thoughts about the whole party, but he immediately put on headphones, curled up under a blanket, and fell asleep.

"He never stops sleeping, does he?" she asked. A Zachbot shook his head in response.

She sighed and crossed her arms. "I guess I'll go find something to do. How close are we to home?"

The Zachbot held out a timer. Forty-five minutes. She nodded a thank you and walked off to one of the big windows. She stared at the mountains below and sighed. There was no doubt that there were going to be people waiting at the building when they got home. During the rest of the ball, she mingled and talked to some adults. All with Killian by her side. And no matter how much she told him she was okay meeting others by herself, he wouldn't hear it.

But the people waiting for her and Zach's arrival would be villains waiting to start up a collab. To merge their companies to create a product that would bring both CEOs good money. But because the whole ordeal was about lacey, they'd want to only hear her opinions. But those meetings would only happen if Zach was up to it. And at the moment, it didn't seem like he was.

~~~

When they got home and Lacey stepped off the plane, she looked down at the ground level and rolled her eyes. There was a line of people waiting outside of the skyscraper, no doubt people who wanted to work with them. Zach came tumbling out after her and peeked down at the crowd below.

"Zachbots!" he barked. "Tell them to go home and that we will meet with them tomorrow. I need to catch up on all the sleep I lost because of that party."

And without another word, he walked out of the hanger and into the building, leaving Lacey with her suitcases.

"Well, I guess I could go take a shower. Take some time to rest. Maybe watch some nature documentaries after," she whispered to herself as she picked up her suitcase handle and walked off towards her bedroom.

And that's what she did. After a long shower, she changed into some pink satin pajamas and climbed under the covers of her bed. She turned on a nature documentary about lemurs and hugged a pillow. But soon into the film, a picture of her brothers with a ring-tailed lemur popped up. The narrator went on to talk about how Martin and Chris are called "a lemur's best friend" and more pictures of them with different lemur species were thrown up.

Tears started to well up in Lacey's eyes and she threw off the covers. She quickly slipped her feet into slippers and ran out of her room and down to the ground level.

And after entering the basement and climbing down the ladder to the sewers, she bolted towards her brothers. But she stopped dead in her tracks upon hearing an annoying, nasally, tired voice.

"How are you two doing? I see Blue Boy has gotten a bit more buff. Did you stop giving food to Green Guy?"

Lacey peeked around the corner and internally sighed. Of course, he had to check up on them when she wanted to.

"How did you know about that?" Martin asked.

"The Zachbots tell me things."

"Okay well, you can leave now. Go say hi to the others."

"I don't care about them. Besides, don't you want to know anything about Blondie? Not how she's doing?"

"We know Lace is okay. She can fend for herself."

"Hmm. Well, I'll let you know she finally made a friend that isn't you two. He's Paisley Paver's nephew and is definitely going to put Lacey on the track to becoming a successful villain. In fact, he and Paisley are coming over for dinner tomorrow to talk about Lacey joining Pave Nature Incorporated. She and Killian could be wonderful business partners."