Leaving

• Chapter Two: Leaving •

Eight Years Later: Present Day

Ember awoke to the sound of her alarm clock blaring from the table beside her bed. She blindly reached out to snooze it and groaned, throwing the covers over her head to block out the sunlight. It was the first day of her junior year of high school. She lay there, looking at the ceiling listening to the birds chirp outside when she heard the boys next door.

"Hey Ember! Wake up!" Rocky yelled from the window across from hers.

Rocky had finally gotten over his crush after they tried making a relationship work a few years ago. Within a week, they realized there was no romantic chemistry, and they were better off as friends. And what a good friend he had been to her. She had never really gotten along with other girls, thinking they were too dramatic and catty. Bonding with Rocky and Tum-Tum was all the bonding she needed. She was happy to be the girl in the boys group.

She walked over to her window and slid it open, sticking her head out of it, "Hey, what's up?"

"If you want a ride to school, you better hurry and get dressed. Colt isn't dressed either, so you do have a little bit of time, he's definitely dragging his feet this morning," Rocky noted sarcastically looking behind him at his sleepy, annoyed brother.

Ember smiled. Some things never change. Speaking of things that never changed, her interactions with Colt never did either, even though she attempted time and time again. He just didn't like her, and she'd finally gave up on trying to figure out why. If he didn't like her, it was his loss, his problem.

"I'll be right over!" She yelled back.

She went to the bathroom and brushed her teeth first and applied her makeup. She was never the type to wear a lot of makeup, but she did apply a little powder, mascara, and lip gloss. She was blessed with a beautiful complexion, so a lot of her look was natural. She also wore her hair naturally, which was wavy curls. She rarely straightened her hair or did anything with it, really. She always let it air dry and she would get the most amazing waves from it. A blessing from her mother, as her mother constantly reminded her. Her hair came down to her mid-back now. She decided on a pair of skinny jeans and a black tank top, slipping the items onto her body. She finally finished with matching black boots and headed downstairs.

Her mother, Angela, was in the kitchen already making breakfast while her father, Carl, sat at the kitchen table reading a newspaper.

"Good morning, darling," Angela said sweetly as she kissed her daughter on the head.

"Good morning, mom. Hey dad," Ember greeted, looking over at her father who was now face deep into his phone. His eyebrows furrowed, so she knew he was thinking hard about something.

"Is something wrong daddy?" Ember asked getting concerned.

"Well sweetie, we've been needing to talk to you about something. Your father has been offered a job in Virginia and we think he's going to take it," Angela told her daughter as she sat a plate down at the table, ushering Ember to sit down and eat.

Ember's mouth dropped open. "What?!"

"Yeah honey, we've given this a lot of thought and it just seems like the right move for our family. We've deeply considered you in our decision, we don't want you to think otherwise." Angela responded.