Adjusting

• Chapter Three: Adjusting •

One Week Later

"Tum-Tum! Get out of the bathroom! You've been in there forever!" Ember yelled through the door while knocking continuously.

Jessica and Samuel Sr. were already dressed and downstairs waiting on the rest of the family to join them for breakfast. Colt and Rocky were in their room packing their backpacks.

It had been a week since she moved in with the Douglas' and they were all still adjusting. The only adjustment that was still in progress was sharing the bathroom with three other people. Rocky was always the first to wake up and shower, ready to seize the day. Colt showered next and then Tum-Tum. She had figured out their schedule to see where she could fit into it. She thought it was going as well as it could be considering the fact that she just moved in, but Tum-Tum was taking his sweet time this morning.

Ember knocked again noisily, "Tummmm-Tummmm! I have to shower and wash my hair!"

Colt came out of their room at the sound of the continuous commotion. He laughed at her growing frustration. "Is he in there again?"

Ember glared at him and gestured to the door, "No, I'm just knocking on the door and yelling his name just for the hell of it."

Colt smirked at her sassiness. "Well, hopefully he hurries for you. Because you're right. You do need to wash your hair. Looks like a bird created a nest for its family in there."

Ember playfully kicked at him and Colt grabbed her foot and held it in the air. Luckily, Ember had mastered the art of balance.

"You should really watch what you're doing, Em. You can't just go around kicking people. They might have quick reflexes and be able to do this instead," Colt said as he started to wiggle her foot making her lose balance.

She started laughing at the gesture and tried to get herself free, but the attempt was in vain. She lost balance and toppled right on top of Colt, knocking him to the ground. Ember and Colt immediately starting laughing at each other when they hit the floor, but then realized just how close they were. She was laying on top of him, her face inches from his. Their laughter ceased and they stared at each other.

'Wow... her eyes are really blue... like an ocean blue..' Colt thought to himself as he stared in her eyes.

Their moment was soon interrupted though by Rocky coming out of the bedroom. Rocky stopped mid-stride and stared at them, his mouth agape. Ember and Colt scrambled to get to their feet.

"Uhhh, what's going on here?" Rocky asked them.

Ember laughed, "It was stupid really. Colt insulted my hair and I went to kick at him and lost my balance."

Rocky looked her over for a second and then looked at his brother. "Well, I'm glad to see the two of you haven't killed each other yet. Where's Tum?"

Ember groaned, "He's in the bathroom!"

Just as she went to knock again, the door opened and Tum-Tum stepped out. "Sheesh, woman! Can't a man have some privacy around here? You came knocking like the police and ruined my me-time."

"Your me-time? Why do you need more time being a spaz when you're one all day already?" Colt teased and Ember laughed.

"Bigger spaz," Tum-Tum challenged back, just like when they were younger.