Jealousy

Author's Note: I wasn't sure if anyone is reading this story. So if you are, and you enjoy it, please leave a review! Thank you for reading! :)

•Chapter Four: Jealousy•

Ember watched Colt walk into the living room with Lauren, but then sighed and turned back to wash the dishes from dinner. Jessica was standing a few feet away wiping down the kitchen counters when she heard Ember sigh.

"Are you sure everything is okay?" Jessica asked her, eager to find out what was causing the tension at dinner.

"I'm not sure. Colt is so difficult to read. I never know what's going on in his head. I thought things between us were fine, but then things changed after chemistry today."

"Did something happen?" Jessica asked, pressing for more information.

"Not that I can think of. The only thing that happened during class was the choosing of our lab partners for this project. I got paired with this new kid, his name is Corey. And Colt was paired with Lauren."

"Ah, I see." Jessica stated simply. She had a slight idea of what the issue was, after-all, she knew her boy. She loved all of her sons dearly, but she had always been closer with Colt. She didn't know with 100% certainty, but she had a feeling she knew what the problem was.

Before Ember could ask Jessica what she meant, the sound of the doorbell ringing interrupted their conversation.

They heard footsteps running towards the door, the door opening and then closing.

"Oh, it's you." Colt stated simply.

"Yes, it's me. Is Ember home?" Corey asked.

"Ember! Your boyfriend is here," Colt yelled out, purposefully trying to push her buttons.

Ember looked at Jessica with a confused look on her face, dried her hands off with a nearby dish towel and headed towards the front door. She found Corey standing there with his hands in the front pockets of his dark-washed jeans. He smiled at her as she approached him.

"Corey! This a surprise! I didn't know we were meeting tonight," Ember told him.

"I know I probably shouldn't drop by unannounced—," Corey began but was interrupted by Colt.

"No, you shouldn't." Colt mumbled under his breath.

Corey shot Colt a look, but Ember rolled her eyes, giving him permission to continue. Without responding to Colt's mumbling, he finished his sentence.

"Like I was saying, I know I probably shouldn't drop by unannounced, but I figured there's no time like the present. I was wondering if you wanted to get a head-start on this project," Corey stated.

Ember looked over at Colt and he met her gaze. While looking into Colt's eyes challengingly, she said to Corey, "I'd love to start working on the project with you."

Colt's eyes narrowed, but he returned his attention to Lauren, or attempted to anyway. Ember and Corey were in the back of his mind.

"Do you guys want to join us in here?" Lauren asked, winking at Corey.

"No, I'm sure we'll be alright without them," Colt answered for the pair.