IV: Surprise

Maddy

    Three forty-seven am—the three numbers taunting me as I blankly stared at my phone. Cassie had constantly been sending me update after update about how 'charming Lopez can be' or 'if she should pick Mckay or Lopez.' Because apparently, Mckay apologized for his behavior the night of the carnival.

    And of course, Cassie being Cassie, she had to entertain him. Cassie never worked well with being alone. She strived off of being in a relationship. I was lowkey hoping she'd drop Lopez along the way, but when I brought up the issue, she only seemed to be more opposed to it.

    So here I was watching a video of Y/N playing her little ukulele in the middle of the night. Cassie had sent it to me three hours prior, and I'd been watching it non-stop. I remember the days when I was still obsessed over Nate like this.

    After giving up on the hope that I'd fall asleep, I drank two sleeping pills, and thankfully I dozed off. The video of Y/N still playing on my phone when I woke up, almost drowning the battery as it did.

***

    "Yo, Maddy, you look like shit." BB quickly told me as I sat down on my seat.

    I rolled my eyes at her as I threw my bag down. "Okay, bitch, tell me something I don't know."

    "Aight, damn, I get it. So damn pissed, and it's only what, nine am?" BB said as she turned around in her seat. I kind of felt bad for going off on her, but I had my period, and the damn marks Nate left on my neck are not fading fast enough, so I had to wear these hot ass turtlenecks.

    Just as my luck would have it, we also had a damn quiz today. The heat became unbearable as Mrs. Jeffers gave out the papers. "Is the air conditioner like not working?" I asked Mrs. Jeffers, hoping that she just forgot to turn it on or something.

    She told me that it was broken. After doing my quiz, I kind of fell asleep. When I woke up, the principal wanted to talk to me. Long story short, they saw the marks Nate left. And it was a fucking nightmare having to talk my mother down when they called her.

    I finally had a break when I asked my mom if I could go to the bathroom. Thankfully she agreed. I was splashing water on my face as I stared at my reflection when I heard someone say something.

    "Did they finally find out? Are you going to... tell them what really happened? Maddy, I really think you should. Cassie even-" Honestly, I really wanted to hear Y/N out, but when I heard Cassie's name come out of Y/N's mouth, I kind of felt disgusting. Green was never really my color.

    "What the fuck did you just say?" I sneered at Y/N. And I almost backed down when I saw the look on her face, but I couldn't help myself. I was fucking scared, I didn't want anyone to get in trouble, and my hormones were driving me crazy.

    "Listen, Maddy. I get it, okay? You're scared, and you can talk to me or something. If you need anyone-"

    "Don't you want to fuck Cassie? Huh? Then what the hell are you doing being so fucking nice to me for. Honestly, what, did you think you could hit it now then save the other for later? Fuck you, Y/N!"

    Y/N gave me a look of disbelief that almost broke my anger seeing her look at me like that. "I don't even know what you're saying, Maddy. But fine. I get it. You obviously don't want me around." Y/N said as she treaded to the bathroom doors. Before she set one foot out the door, she looked back at me with a look I couldn't decipher and said, "Stay safe, though, Maddy. You're a big girl. I really hope you know what you're doing."

    I closed my eyes as I called out to Y/N, but apparently, she'd already gone out. Fuck. It took about five minutes before I pulled myself together and went out too. Cassie just so happened to enter the bathroom when I was about to walk out.

    "Oh my, God, Maddy. Are you okay? Did Nate...?" I nodded my head as Cassie immediately engulfed me in a tight hug. Her hands rubbing small circles on my back. "That fucking asshole. Maddy, I'll-"

    "Cassie, I really don't want to talk about Nate right now. Just tell me something. Anything." Cassie smiled at me, her grin even reaching her eyes. It was nice seeing her so happy. Too bad I was too broken today to reciprocate.

    "I think I'm going to go the next level with Y/N. I know you, and I don't really talk about this kind of stuff much, but it's just I don't really have the experience, with girls, you know?" I gently pushed Cassie away from me. "I don't have that kind of experience, Cas. Sorry."

    Cassie kind of looked disappointed, but she shook her head and continued to smile. "It's okay, Maddy. I'm just glad you're okay. I'm sure I'll survive." Cassie said as she playfully rolled her eyes.

    "Listen, Cas. I need to go back. My mom and dad are literally waiting for me in the principal's office."

    "Oh, yeah, sure. Love you, Maddy. Talk to me when you can, okay?"

    I looked up to Cassie with a blank look and said. "Love you too, Cas."

***

    Just when I thought my day was over, Nate texted me. It was a bullshit apology he made, probably out of guilt. But I was feeling way too down, and knowing Cassie and Y/N were probably somewhere fucking while I was literally falling apart made me feel like complete shit.

    So I texted him back. He wanted to meet me at a motel. I usually hate how disgusting motels are, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

    So I met Nate. I went inside the room he got and fucked him. I had my eyes closed the entire time, fantasizing it was someone else. Someone, my best friend, was probably fucking right at the exact same moment.

    How the fuck did I get here? I need to do something about this. This isn't working.

***

A/N

    Ew, I know. Fucking Nate?? But, yeah, shit had to go down.