The Secret

Today was the first day Kacchan was back in school. I had to follow him, because there seemed to be a maximum distance I could be away from him before I teleport back in front of him. Besides, I was curious what we were learning anyway. If I had managed to come back to life, I didn't want to be far behind the class. Kacchan walked over to his seat. His eyes were puffy again. He had a nightmare, probably from watching me jump. The class looked at him as the rest of his friends entered. His friends quickly crowded around his desk, but he seemed very out of it. He wasn't responding to anything. The bell rang, and the teacher walked into the class. It felt like it had been forever since I walked into this class. It felt weird to know that I could see all these people, but only Kacchan could see me. It felt like I was a spy. I stared at the board when the class started. "Okay class, I know it has been a long week for some of us, but today we will be learning about..."

"Kacchan, can you believe that? I didn't think algebra would be so easy! I mean, if you just have to solve for x the entire class, next year will be easy. Don't you think?" I asked, excitedly talking to my old friend. I didn't really know if I was allowed to call him my friend, after everything we've been through. I think Kacchan wouldn't like that very much. After all, he had wanted to get rid of me. Kacchan looked at me and half-smiled. My eyes widened. Did he enjoy me talking to him? He must've seen my confused look, because he started to explain. "You were talking like you would be able to attend school next year. It made me happy." He talked quietly, so he didn't seem insane. I mean, no one else could see me, so he would look like he was talking to thin air. He walked into the cafeteria, because we were on our lunch break, and got in line. I missed being able to eat. I saw what Kacchan had and my (proverbial) mouth watered. Katsudon. I licked my lips, thinking of what katsudon tasted like. Kacchan must have been looking at me, because I heard him chuckle slightly. He sat down at an empty table, and suddenly the table was full. I was hovering over Kacchan's shoulder, and the crowd made me flinch back. The students all started asking questions. "I heard you killed the quirkless kid. What did his body look like?" one student ask. I could see Kacchan's face go white and he put a hand to his mouth. He looked like he was about to throw up. "How did you kill him?" another asked. Suddenly, Kacchan's face went red with anger. "SHUT UP YOU STUPID EXTRAS, AND LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE!" He screamed. His anger dissipated almost immediately. "Don't talk about him like he was just some punching bag that broke. He was a person too." He said his last sentence so quietly, only the kids immediately in front of him heard him. They seemed surprised at his aggression towards the topic. Kacchan stood up, walked his food over to the trash, and threw it away.

As soon as Kacchan got out of the cafeteria, he sprinted to the bathroom. He had just managed to open a bathroom stall door before he threw up in the toilet. I went to pat his back when I remembered that I couldn't touch him. He finally finished puking and stood up. He had tears in the corner of his eyes. "I can't believe I talked about you like that before all of this happened." He confessed to me. I looked at him confused. Why did he care about how he talked about me? Why would my opinion of him matter so much that he would feel apologetic for what happened? My mind started wandering for a minute. Could he be feeling guilty? But why? That doesn't answer any of  my questions. Does he feel like he can't become a hero if he doesn't somehow make it right? But that doesn't explain why he was crying so much. Maybe... No, he wouldn't still care about me. Right?