Chapter 1

The blue eyes of the female shown with disconcern as they scanned the older male's face, yearning for the knowledge of his perplexing words. "I have to go where?" She asked, her voice soft, as she tried to hide the anger that bubbled within her throat, threatening to erupt. She felt the pressure behind her eyes welling up as tears jeopardized her calm facade.

"You will be moving to the Hachiman Shrine. To become a shrine maiden," My father bellowed, allowing his voice to echo in the small and mostly empty room. His voiced rang through Sachiko's ears, fueling the sick feeling that was gurgling in her gut. How was she supposed to leave her home, deserting her father and her duties as a noble's daughter, and go to some Shrine deep in the heart of Japan?

"Why would you send me to perform such a task? I am the daughter of one of Japan's most influential Noblemen. I am supposed to be much more than just a token in a lowly shrine." Sachiko retorted, trying to hold back the snap in her tone. She didn't want to come across as angered, but it was rather difficult to succeed in such a strain.

"Chi...Listen to me. I have gotten into some trouble. As you have known your entire life, there are men out there who don't like me, or my property. Things have gotten out of control, and now they are targeting my family. And, seeing how you are the first born, he wants to take you away from me, just as I have taken away his." Hattori said. He always seemed to talk to her as if she was a child, even though she was just shy of turning nineteen.

"And how does sending me away to this shrine keep me safe?" Sachiko asked softly. The idea of leaving still made her sick, but these questions needed to be asked if her father was serious about sending her.

"You will be kept a secret. Only a select few men will know your location. You are vulnerable here, where your location is in the public's knowledge." He said. It was obvious by the tone of his voice that he had thought this over. Sachiko's eyes looked up to the male. He had always been large in stature, but in this moment he seemed like a mountain; tall and unmovable. A shiver ran down the female's spine. She was never bothered by his height, until now.

"I-Isn't Hachiman Shrine far away from here?" She asked, starting to lose her confidence. She felt as her shoulders hunched, making her appear even smaller than she already was.

"Yes. It would be too dangerous to have you travel alone, so I have arranged some escorts to take you to the shrine safely." The male said, his face unreadable, almost as if he was trying too hard to keep a secret.

"Escorts?" Sachiko asked, looking up at him through her eyelashes. Her father was the secretive type, so this behavior was not unusual.

"The best of the best, of course. I have hired two highly trained ninja to escort you to the shrine. You will meet them tonight at dinner. As for now, get packed. You are to only bring what you can carry on your back. You will be traveling on foot." He said firmly. His voiced showed that he was not to be swayed. His tall stature turned to the doorway, as if ending the little conversation with his motion. He stops before exiting the room. "I expect that you won't disappoint me, Sachiko." He intoned with a low growl. He then continued to leave the room, out of the female's view.

"Of course, father..." Sachiko muttered softly. She wouldn't dare to disobey, or even argue with her father. She knew such a thing would result in unspeakable things that she didn't even dare think about.

Her small frame collapsed onto the bed behind her, as her legs didn't seem capable of holding her weight anymore. Her mind surged with the idea of leaving the only life she had ever known to become a shrine maiden. In a way, it made her physically sick thinking of such a reality. She shuttered and shook her head quickly, trying to push the thoughts from her conscience.