A Strange Proposal

It was a strange and dark dream. Penalia was being sentenced for a crime she hadn't committed. A crime that she wasn't even aware of. All she could think about while being dragged from the dungeon, which smelt of mould and human filth, was the burning sensation in her bare feet as they made contact with the rough brick ground in a scraping manner.

She was being led to the stake for her final punishment as being starved in the dark dungeon, beaten with rods and molested on various occasions was not enough. The moment her feet touched the open ground, her ears were pricked by the shrieks of people chanting the word "Traitor" over and over again. The light had hit her face, but all the days of being trapped in utter darkness had rendered her eyes defenceless under the bright light of the sun. It took her a few very long moments to garner the strength to open her eyelids. She was met with scowls and abuse hurled from at least a hundred people in front of her.

She finally took notice of two very strong men holding her by her arms while the lower part of her body was limping. On her side was a raised platform, above which was placed a table made of stone. Two large men carried an axe bigger than the size of her upper body. Just as she was gathering her surroundings, she was picked up as if she weighed nothing and didn't even realise when she had ascended the stars to the stake, or she hadn't. She was thrown on the cold, wet ground, and the crowd erupted in joy. Her head was forcibly put on the stone table, and to her surprise, she exclaimed in horror. She had thought there was no voice left inside of her, but as her spirit broke, she cried out aloud and begged, "Please have mercy on me! I swear I didn't do anything. Please! Please! " Her voice broke into sobs, and the men drew the axe up in the air. Penalia raised her eyes to it and screamed.

"NOOOOO!" exclaimed Penalia, shaking her head.She had woken up horrified. For some reason, the ominous dreams were back. Her body was drenched in sweat on a windy night. The windows were wide open, and the white drapes draped over them swayed with the cool breeze.

Penalia took deep breaths and reminded herself that it was only a dream. She helped herself down the bed to fetch a glass of water. She recalled how her best friend, upon visiting her each time, said, "Your room is three times mine!", as she haggardly tried to reach the jug of water. She was halfway towards it when the door to her room was abruptly opened and in came her maid, Mera.

"My lady, what happened? I... huh.. heard your shrill from... huh... downstairs," she said in gasps while trying to catch her breath.

"Nothing, Mera, it was just a nightmare," Penalia spoke calmly to reassure Mera.

Mera exclaimed, "Those wretched dreams are back, you say, My lady! You must go to Old Merley. I reckon he has a potion for you".

"You know, I don't believe all that, Mera. I do not believe in some old guy possessing healing powers. He just fools everyone, I reckon", Penalia asserted. She had never believed in magic or supernatural powers. She had grown up reading vastly from the enormous library her father, the Marquess, had and firmly believed in the power of education and rationality.

Mera argued, "Pardon my nerve, My lady, but I figure only the kind like that of old Merley can protect you from these nightmares. It is said that a mage from the north also healed the Emperor. "

Penalia nodded in acknowledgement and said, "I understand your concern, Mera, but I will not pay any money to a superstitious man who claims he can talk to spirits and blah".

Mera bowed, "Of course, My Lady. I respect your wisdom. If you need anything, I can fetch it for you right now. "

Penalia smiled kindly and spoke, "Thank you, Mera, but that will be all."
Upon hearing that, Mera closed the door behind her slowly and made her way to her lodgings. Penalia went back to her bed and slept without having her glass of water.