A Dirty Secret

Curiosity can be a dangerous thing. While it may take one to wonderful places, undoubtedly, and also places where we are not supposed to wander.

Penalia rubbed her eyes as her maid, Mila, drew open the curtains. It was a dull morning. The sky was covered with gloom and the wind shrieked in panic.

Penalia got up and sat in a distressed posture. Her body was still stiff from the endlessly tiring journey. Her rich blossom wasn't used to the hard and rocky roads. She slowly stretched her back with her arms wide open and let out a yawn. Mila had prepared water for her morning wash, and as she dipped her hands in the bowl, she asked, as a matter of fact, "When did the master arrive?". Confusion was spread across Mila's face as she responded, "Pardon my lady. But I believe the matter at hand to be a business for a couple of days, to say the least. " Mila's frown deepened as the disbelief on Penalia's face deepened. It felt as if her mistress was out of touch with the surroundings. Mila believed it to be a natural reaction considering the situation of her lady's marriage and her arrival at an unlikely place. Mila knew for sure that it was no place for a marquess's daughter. Eron's estate was poor. Even bags full of riches couldn't help it.

Although such was the case in most northern regions, Mila had expected the fief of the most beloved knight to be no less than a dream. On the contrary, it was a nightmare.

Penalia kept sitting on the bed with squinted eyes, wondering if she dreamt the sinking of the mattress beside her. She had felt a presence in the night, strong enough to assure her that she was not alone. Had it been her imagination? She doubted it. Shaking off the thoughts, she got up and started undressing for her body wash. 

Penalia's eyes visibly gaped at the breakfast table. She could not understand how such substandard housing could afford such lavish dishes. Her breakfast accounted for more than a dozen plates of delicious food. From juice, sherbet and milk in drinks, to fried salmon, semolina pancakes, potato cutlets and more. The smell was scrumptious, and Penalia had practically starved herself throughout the journey. Her favourite breakfast, hard scrambled egg whites with buttery toast, was served as well. It was uncommon for anyone to not eat the yolk, but she never liked the taste of it. How had the staff known she only ate egg whites? She was confident her maids must have told them. It was remarkable how her maids were well informed about her when they had just begun with their duties. The dining space wasn't too big, but plenty. Ahral stood by the kitchen door while Kana served her. On an average day, Penalia liked to dine with her maids, but she was reluctant today as she wasn't yet accustomed to the rules of the estate. Yarim stood by the table silently staring at Penalia, who raised her eyebrows at Yarim but could not derive a response from her. Something about her gaze made the hairs on Penalia's arms stand. She looked at her coldly. Penalia shifted in her chair uncomfortably and proceeded to eat. For most of the time, people watched her eat silently.

Ahral approached Penalia after breakfast and bowed. He said, "Allow me to take you around the estate, our Lare."

Penalia answered, "It would be an honour to closely look at my husband's fief." As they both began to walk out of the estate, Penalia didn't bother asking to look around the house, as there probably wasn't much. Since she was not aware of her husband's true nature, whom she detested calling her husband, she thought it wise to take a trip around the fief in his absence. On a walk towards what looked like a cluster of tents, Ahral spoke, "Dear lare, this is called the Deham house. Upon the late Laard's demise, the house fell into the hands of Master Eron, who has significantly upgraded its standard of living. "

Penalia let out a snort, thinking how terrible the state of the house must have been before if it was considered good today. She cleared her throat and said, "I see. Eron must have put a lot of effort into it. If you do not mind my asking, why do you keep addressing me as "Lair?"