The Masked Stranger

Penalia drank a warm and bitter liquid that Mera had served her. She had regained consciousness after fainting for a few seconds. Blath, her father's advisor, and her cousin, Febro, surrounded her. As Penalia forced the distasteful drink down her throat, she feared that, just like that, she would be forced into marriage with Eron. She had finally calmed down, but her heart was still racing. Even lying on the bed made her feel like she had run ten laps.

  "Calin has summoned uncle," Febro said."Are you really alright, sister?" he asked, concerned.

  "I am fine," Penalia uttered. In truth, she was not fine at all. But she had to make her very worried cousin feel better. He had come to her within minutes of her ordeal. And she knew he wasn't going anywhere until he had made sure she was absolutely okay. But that wouldn't be possible this time. It seemed unnatural for Penalia to feel okay while she knew there was a good chance her life was about to become insufferable.

Febro was a good brother. Since Penalia's mother and her little brother passed away, he had taken care of her. He was present every time she needed him. He celebrated her happiness and held her in despair. His eyebrows were clenched together in worry. He looked ragged yet handsome. His dark skin was smooth, and his silver hair contrasted splendidly with his hazel eyes. He was a peculiar beauty. While she considered her honey-like skin tone and brown eyes to be of typical standards,

  Febro thought differently, though. He cherished his sister, and in his eyes, she was a goddess. He adored her the most of all his siblings, cousins, and distant relatives because none of them possessed her intellect. She was quick-witted and smart. Febro always felt those qualities to be the most lovable. He was perturbed by the news that had greeted him moments ago. Penalia's fainting alone was unsettling to him. On top of that, he was appalled when told about the ghastly proposal made to her. Febro didn't feel any man deserved his sister; she was too good for anyone. But he knew she had to get married and always hoped she would meet a man one day who could see her true worth. "Eron, of all men?" He thought to himself. The devil himself wanted to wed his beloved sister. No words could describe the rage he felt for Eron, the audacity he had to have decided to damage his sister in this way. He wanted to do something, but taking a step to save Penalia could result in exile or even death. He could not go against the Emperor. But maybe he could die trying to protect his sister. That idea seemed good to him in the moment. He knew he wouldn't be able to live knowing that he had never fought for her. But what could he really do?

  "We will figure this out, love," Blath assured her.
"Yes, yes we will," Febro agreed, less enthusiastically.

  Penalia held Febro's hand to comfort him. His eyes said he wasn't the one that needed to be comforted.

"I won't do it," she said firmly.
"Do what?" asked Febro, cluelessly.
"I won't marry him. "I will defy the Emperor and accept any punishment he wishes to give me," she said with bare confidence.
"You will do no such thing. You don't know the Emperor. I will find a way out of this," Febro said in desperation. His sister wanted to look strong, but he could see through her. He could see that she was scared to her death.

 " I am sorry to interrupt, but going against the Emperor's order of marriage will make you a traitor, and we all know what punishment is given to a traitor. I am not saying that I want you to get married to that mad man; I just want you to live." Blath took a deep breath, realising she may have scared her friend even more. her face did not express it.

"Pardon me. I shouldn't have said all that. I do not mean to hurt you, "Blath apologized.

  "You spoke the truth," Penalia assured her. "I cannot die like that. But my prospects of having a blissful marriage with Eron are also next to none. This will be the greatest dilemma of my life. To choose death or a life of endless suffering," Penalia spoke, defeated.