Chapter two: Snow Day

In a permanent slumber... Wait?, what's this? The author woke up from hibernation! Hooray!

A little later---

Eventually, Siruka, after some talking, insisted on going outside, into the snow. I was wondering why we needed to be outside, but when I asked, he just replied with "Do you not want to go into the snow?"

Siruka wouldn't say anything about the subject, of why we were to go outside. When I asked other questions, he gave simple answers. After enough unanswered questions, I sighed. "Okay, I will go outside. Just give me a while to get dressed into some snow clothes and eat. These Pajamas won't keep me warm out there," and as if on que, my stomach made a plaintive grumble.

Siruka, the dragon of black scales and disproportionately large forepaws, eventually gave in. "Alright, alright, I will wait outside. Just don't make we wait so long I freeze my tail off, please." And with that, the small creature left.

I got ready, ate breakfast and all of the other mundane morning things. But hey, at least it was a snow-day, oh yeah, and that dragon, friend, thing. I wonder if it could breathe fire. Hmm...

After a while, I walked outside and looked around. It was eerily quiet, and although this is to be expected of someplace covered in snow, this still put me on edge. I continued looking around. Where was he? Where was this dragon?

Eventually, I spotted Siruka, a small splotch of darkness in the snow. I walked to a close enough range from the dragon to speak comfortably, and sat down. "Will you finally tell me why we are here?" I asked.

"Well, obviously because it isn't too close to anything too modern. Magic is raw, pure and elemental. It comes from the earth, the sky and the sea, raging volcanoes and frigid icebergs!" Siruka seemed pretty excited about magic.

"But what's the point? Why is it so important?"

He flicked his tall back and forth, and tilted his head. "Really?" And he looked down. "Magic gives life to things. Magic comes from the world. Magic is another form of energy, but most importantly, magic is what connects you to reality."

"I... Don't understand this all to well. I'm sorry, what?"

"Okay, maybe I have to be more simple. See this?" And then Siruka used his unusually large fore-paws to gather together some snow, into a snowball. He then presented it to me in his upturned paw. "This is a piece of snow, or ice. In it, there is a tiny amount of ice magic. Although, there is not a way to extract this magic, since the magic and the physical form are so tightly connected together. Instead, it will obey anyone who knows how to tell it what to do. Those who are refined in the skill of ice magic can make this snowball move to their will. Does this make more sense?"

"Yes, it makes a lot more sense," and I took the snowball. "Could anybody learn how to make the snowball move?"

"Well, yes, but there are specifications. Within any human lay dormant magical abilities, and are naturally already slightly oriented to that specific type of power. They can become magically powerful in these elements, and eventually gain affinity to it. If someone were to try and learn an element that was not their own, they would have lots of trouble, and couldn't possibly get more powerful in that element than their own natural one."

"Oh, cool! So are we going to find my element?" I saw a snowflake land on Siruka's face. "And... Aren't you cold?"

"Yes, yes I'm cold! But if I huddle down into the snow, it insulates. It can insulate me," and with that, he rolled around until he had made a little snow-burrow to poke his head out of. " he looked up as more snowflakes began to fall. "Your element... Well, I should be a good clue to at least one of the elements you are good at."