021

⊱ ────── {⋅

────── {. .} ──────

MAEVE WALKED OVER TO HER ROOM. There was something inside that she needed, if she could grab it quickly that would have been great. It seemed like her body had other plans. 

With her hand still on the doorknob, she froze. "Crap," She groaned bringing her hand up to her temple.

Squeezing her eyes shut and steadying her breathing before reaching out again. Just as before she pulled back. Closing her eyes tighter, her heart felt like it stopped for a moment.

It was like her life had decided to flash before her eyes. The one thing she hs buried deep had risen to the surface. "Why now," Maeve cried.

Just like when it happened, Maeve stood at the door of her old home. Her parents were laid out on the floor in a puddle of their blood.

"Maeve?" Armin shook her shoulder breaking her out of her trance. "I'm sorry," She forced a laugh. Armin winced at her awful excuse for a laugh.

"We need your help, we have to go to Niccolo's restaurant to question him." Armin pointed towards the exit.

"Of course," Maeve didn't hesitate to follow him outside to her horse.

The ride to the restaurant was everything she needed. It allowed her to get some air and free her mind as she let the horse guide her.

Everyone else had already gotten there before them. "Hey," She mumbled. Mikasa gave her a tight smile nodding her head.

"What brings everyone?" Niccolo walked over. "We just need to ask you a few questions." Hange nervously chuckled. "I don't know if I can right now, I have some very important customers in the other room." Niccolo pointed towards the room.

"No worries, we'll get back to you later," Maeve spoke up. Hange nodded their head. "Yeah, you can go back to working," Hange said.

"If you could wait in this room that would be fine." Niccolo led them to another room. It was empty and cases of wine bottles were stacked up high. "Dude, this is the wine the soldiers talk about." Connie reached over taking it off the shelf.

Niccolo panicked, lunging forward and snatching the bottle away. "Get your hands off of that." He screamed clutching the wine bottle to his chest.

"Huh?" Mikasa furrowed her eyebrows, now suspicious of him.

"It was just a joke," Jean held his hands up defensively. "This wine shouldn't be wasted on Eldians." Niccolo rolled his eyes.

Maeve couldn't believe Niccolo, after all this time he still had the nerve to say something like that.

"Are you still going on about that?" Jean grabbed Niccolo by his collar as he yelled in his face. "Don't touch me, Eldian." Niccolo cried out.

"Who do you think you are?" Jean spat out as he released him. Niccolo slipped away still carrying the bottle of liquor.