Chapter 28

"You are haunted by memories that linger like a softly uttered curse."

•°☆°•

•°☆°•

The Silvers' house was enormous; as Tom stood in the fireplace after using floo travel shortly after Faith to get to the house, he gaped at the array of grand furniture and the many chandeliers hanging from the high ceiling. The walls were plastered with a deep, forest green and silver wallpaper, making the room look dark, the only source of light being the grey glow streaming through the large windows.

"Welcome to my house," Faith mumbled as Tom approached her.

"It's...very big," Tom nodded as he continued to gaze at the large room.

"Yeah," Faith nodded, though her eyes seemed more distant than usual, as she picked up their trunks and gestured Tom to follow her, "My mother expects us to get ready for dinner, which will be at 7, so I'll show you to your room,"

Tom nodded in reply as he followed Faith down the darkened hallway, passing a great deal of murky, old portraits and other mysterious artefacts, all seemingly making the hall appear twice as gloomy. Tom imagined this is what all pure-blooded family houses looked like; everyone one of them have connections. Ancestors stemming back thousands of years, all teeming with magic. Jealousy rose into Tom's chest once again. That should have been him.

As they continued down the hall, they finally reached a dark wood door, painted black with an immaculately polished silver handle. Everything seemed quiet, too quiet. It felt strange for Tom to see Faith in this setting, as though he could see a new side of her.

"This is your room," Faith opened the door to a huge, dark room with forest green tapestries hanging from the walls and in the centre, a four poster bed. Tom could have gasped at the utter size of the room; it was about ten times the size of his tiny room in Wolleys orphanage.

"It's a guest room, but my room is just across the room from yours," Faith gestured to the door opposite, painted a slightly lighter shade of green to the rest of the house. She gave Tom a small smile, though it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Are you okay Faith?" Tom asked, his brows furrowed. It was strange that the dread and pain in her eyes that he had noticed on the Hogwarts express was due to this very house. Tom had always known how little Faith liked her home, though he couldn't quite pinpoint why. Everything Tom had seen so far had been quite alright: Faith's mother had been welcoming to him, sure she wasn't the warmest of women, but Tom had seen worse at the orphanage. The Silvers' house was spacious and beautiful, as far as Tom could tell. But he couldn't ignore the distance growing in Faith's eyes.

She looked up at him, their eyes catching each other for the first time since the Hogwarts express. The blue within seemed to have dimmed; perhaps it was just the lack of light. Faith opened her mouth as if to speak, a miserable expression on her face, but quickly stopped herself.