Chapter Three

* Bonnie's hairstyle for the decade dance

The next few days Bonnie spent her lunch periods at a table in the library reading the book Grams gave her to study

The next few days Bonnie spent her lunch periods at a table in the library reading the book Grams gave her to study. She called it a beginner guide to everything that had to do with being a witch. It wasn't as scary in size or aesthetic as the others Grams had at home. The pages were a mishmash of drawings of plants and spells and incantations - and how they worked - in cursive Latin. Now she understood why Grams forced her to take Latin in freshman year instead of French like the sane students. Even so, she was grateful that any spells mentioned were written phonetically on each page.

"Hey." A familiar voice said. Bonnie looked up to Anna's bright smile.

"Hey." Bonnie echoed, surprised and a little confused. "What are you doing here?"

Anna lifted the books she held in her hand. "I have a history paper due in a few days, and I needed a few sources. Can I sit?"

Bonnie nodded.

Anna sat in the chair across her. "Is that homework?"

"Uh." Bonnie said, closing the book. "Yeah sort of."

"Cool, that's the the triquetra right?"

Bonnie looked down at the cover of the book. A symbol - three curving, intersecting lines, making a long beaked triangle - was etched into the dark green leather. She'd seen the symbol countless times in Gram's house.

"Yeah — it is." Bonnie said. "What do you know about the Triquetra?"

Anna shrugged. "I know it literally means three corners, and, that it represents things like unity, protection and eternity."

Bonnie nodded. That was all right, Grams said the triquetra was a symbol of power.

"It actually has a pretty interesting history."

"I think you mean strange." Bonnie said, shaking her head.

Anna smiled. "You mean the witches."

"There's a lot of documentation that says covens use the triquetra as a symbol of power, some even say witches use it as a connection to other planes." Anna continued.