25 | want

raine's pov

I can't sleep. No matter how hard I try, my body won't shut down. Lilah's asleep on the other side of the bed, her curly hair splayed everywhere. Rowan left a few days ago. Maybe it's the fact that the day after tomorrow would be the start of the new year- and new year resolutions.

New year resolutions were serious to me. It was a commitment that I swore to and stuck with it all year. One of my resolutions in senior year was to get into Juilliard, and it was the only one that I hadn't finished. The audition was in April. I still had time to complete it.

After staring at the ceiling and doing nothing for a half hour, I swing my legs out of bed and grab the pointe shoes in my suitcase, along with my phone. Quietly, I turn the handle of the bedroom door and creep up.

There's the faintest bit of chatter from downstairs. I peek through the railing of the stairs, and Merrick, Kohler, and Arrow are huddled around the fire, playing a game of cards. I tiptoe down the stairs, trying to sneak through the kitchen, but one of them clears their throat.

"What are you doing down here?" Merrick asks, scratching his head. My face flares with embarrassment.

I try to play cool, so I raise my eyebrow and place my hands on my hips. "It's three a.m. and you're playing cards. Not to mention that you're also watching Sex and the City. I don't think you're in a position to ask me what I'm doing."

He whistles. "Alright, blondie. Relax."

I give him a nod. "Alright then." I strut past them. I can feel Arrow's gaze on me- they drop to the pointe shoes in my left hand. He looks at me as if asking you good? so I give him a close lipped smile before walking towards the loft.

There was a wooden floor perfect for dancing, with an open glass ceiling. The snow had cleared up on the top, so I could see the star spotted sky above. I slip my airpods into my ear and tie my ballet shoes on my feet. After stretching, I begin doing my Juiliard routine- over and over again until it's a permanent tattoo in my brain.

When my body's tired out, I trudge back to the kitchen. I fill myself a glass of water and gulp it down. Arrow was cleaning up in the living room, the other boys nowhere in sight. "Hi," I murmur quietly, leaning on the counter. He looks up from the living room, clad in a tight black tank top that displays his broze muscles. Arrow frowns, his eyebrows pulled together and his brown eyes calculating. "You're tense," he comments. "Sit down."

"Arrow-"

"Just sit down and be quiet." Normally, I would snap back at him, but I'm curious to find out what he's asking me. I obey and take a seat on the stool.

I feel his warm presence behind me. He places his hands on my shoulders and pulls me back into his chest. My heart rate jumps, and I gulp. His strong fingers knead into my shoulders, and in a mere second, I'm like jello in his hands. "Mhm," I hum, my eyes fluttering. "That feels so good."

"Shit, shortcake, don't talk like that."

My cheeks flush a bright red. "Sorry."

He continues rubbing small circles into my collarbone and shoulder blades. I gather up my hair and pull it over one shoulder so he has better access. Arrow leans down and presses a soft kiss into my hair, and that's when I take initiative.

"Arrow," I say breathlessly, turning around on the kitchen stool. "I want you to kiss me."

Arrow is surprisingly nonchalant. Other than his slightly parted lips, he seems normal. I don't know whether to be offended or not. Finally, he says, "Save it for New Years, baby. You can wait."