Chapter 5

Josephine was on the phone when she saw Melissa knock softly on her door. She held up her hand before hanging up the phone, "what can I do for you."

Melissa sighed as she sat down. "I came to talk about the wedding party. And there was something else."

Josephine nodded, "okay. What is the other thing."

"Um... I don't have a lot of friends around here. Chris has his friends and they all stick together and don't really include me."

Josephine shrugged, "if you say so. What's your point."

Melissa groaned, "Chris has this party every year for New Year's Eve and..."

"I know and nope. Sorry." She looked down at her desk as Melissa continued.

"I feel so out of place. Please, will you come."

Josephine laughed, "you do realize that I used to date Chris, right? And it didn't end well. And you expect me to want to show my face around his family and his friends after everything that happened? No fucking way!"

Melissa scoffed, "why not? They all love you. They all talk about you like you're a fucking angel that Chris destroyed." She sighed, "I thought that maybe if they see that you're okay with me being with Chris that they would better accept me."

"Who said I'm okay with you being with Chris? You're marrying the only man I ever loved. All you'll do is make yourself look desperate. It's not a good idea. I'm sorry. And besides, I'd prefer to keep this relationship purely professional." She watched Melissa stand up, tears in her eyes, making her groan. "I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings."

She shook her head, "no. It's fine. I'm sorry for whatever he did to you. I know he'll never love me the way he does you. I just wanted some sort of leeway."

Josephine scoffed as she leaned back in her chair, "if you don't think he loves you then why are you marrying him?"

She shrugged, "it's Chris Evans."

"I don't even know what to say to that." She rested her head in her hand, "get out please."

"Will you come?"

Josephine shook her head, "I don't know. Get out. Please." Once she was gone, Josephine spun her chair away from the door, staring out the window.

💔💔💔💔

"Are you going to sing?"

Josephine sighed, looking at Aubrey. "I was thinking about it."

She nodded, "you should. It always makes you feel better."

Josephine took a deep breath, "okay." She chose her song before getting up for mic night at a local bar. She groaned, seeing Chris enter with Melissa and Scott and a few of his friends. She started to walk off the stage but Aubrey nodded her encouragement. She sighed, sitting at the piano next to her as she was announced. She saw Chris look up at her at the mention of her name.

Scott groaned, "come on. We should go."

Chris shook his head, "no I want to listen."

Melissa leaned back, watching Chris watch Josephine.

🎵 It's a small town
Word gets around
And travels in circles
Through hoops over hurdles
Everyone's careless
They talk about our mess
They don't care how it hurts me
Must think it was easy
They say you have a new love
I'm happy for you love
I just don't wanna meet her
Are you gonna keep her
Cause I don't wanna see you with her
I don't wanna see her face
Resting in your embrace
Her feet standing in my place
I don't wanna see you moved on
I don't think that I'm that strong
It hasn't been that long
Since I was the one on your arm
I don't like being sober
That's when it hits me it's over
Although it was my choice
I can't shake your calm voice
Saying you found one
That makes you feel as strong
And helps you through hard times
'Cause that job was once mine
They say you have a new love
I'm happy for you love
I just don't wanna meet her
Are you gonna keep her🎵

Josephine looked up to see Chris get up and leave, followed by his friends and Melissa.

🎵'Cause I don't wanna see you with her
I don't wanna see her face
Resting in your embrace
Her feet standing in my place
I don't wanna see you moved on
I don't think that I'm that strong
It hasn't been that long
Since I was the one on your arm
I don't wanna see you with he
I don't wanna see you with her
'Cause I don't wanna see you with her
I don't wanna see her face
Resting in your embrace
Her feet standing in my place
I don't wanna see you moved on
I don't think that I'm that strong
It hasn't been that long
Since I was the one on your arm
'Cause I don't wanna see you with her🎵

Chris leaned against the outside of the building, listening to her finish the song. He felt Melissa grab his hand, "just go. I'll be home soon."

"But Chris.."

He shook his head, pulling his hand away, "just go." He saw her hesitate, but leave him standing alone.

Josephine came off the stage, seeing Scott had stayed back, "hey."

"I forgot how good you are."

She groaned, "I didn't know you would all be here."

He nodded, "I know. I promise we had no idea you would be here." He hesitated, "um. I heard Melissa invited you to Chris's party."

She shrugged, "so? I'm not going."

"I know. Let me change your mind."

She laughed, "you can't Scott."

He grinned, "I think I can and his name is Kyle. He's got dark, raven hair and green eyes. He's hot. And he's completely okay with being used to make Chris jealous."

Josephine laughed again, crossing her arms, "you want me to not only go to the party, but bring a date to make him jealous?"

He shrugged, "yes. You know he will be. Whether he has any right to be or not. I'll send you his picture. You have a few weeks to decide."

She sighed, letting him kiss her on the cheek, "okay. I'll think about it." She turned to Aubrey. "I'm just going to walk home."

Aubrey nodded, "sure."

Josephine grabbed her coat, pulling it on as she left the bar. She groaned when she found Chris leaning against the building, waiting for her. "What if I had decided to stay longer?"

He shrugged, "I would have waited all night Josephine."

She rolled her eyes as she heard him following her, "I'm going home."