Chapter 16

Nicki had gone home. She was on the phone with a buddy she knew who was close to the prison warden. As long as she got some inside information about the people she needed info from can get her any.

"Thanks Charlie...let me know as soon as you can," she said as she ended the call right when she got inside. The smell of spaghetti was wafting through the front door, causing her mouth to water. She somewhat skipped lunch, only really eating her side salad before realizing she was going to be late for her meeting. 

"Something smells good," she smiled as the twins were setting the table.

"Hey Mama! Mommy's still not coming home right?" Tanya said as she set the large pot in the middle of the table. 

"Yeah. Aunty Toni's having a rough day. She's staying the night. Looks like you already have dinner ready, I was gonna order takeout," she said as she took a seat. The table was filled with laughter, and chatting about each other's day.

"Wow, your vice principle sounds pretty cool. I'm glad he's taking this seriously," Nicki said.

"Yeah. I mean, he has three daughters of his own, so he probably put himself in our shoes," Tyler said. He still wanted to beat that guys ass for what he did. However, one of his friends got to coach Mill, and made sure he stayed the hell away from Tyler the rest of the day and especially during practice. He wanted to at least chuck the ball in his face one good time, but he kept his composure. 

"As to whether Principle Jones will go for it, I'm not sure," Tanya muttered. 

"Why's that baby girl?" Nicki asked while picking up everyone's dishes and placing them in the sink.

"Yeah, what do you mean sis?" Tyler asked.

"When you're the quiet one, you hear some things. She seems to be a stickler for the schools "reputation" or whatever...I hope it's just a rumor. I mostly heard it from the kids I tutor for math, and their not exactly the most well-behaved group," she said as she took a final swig of her water.

"Goody two shoes much?" Tyler chuckled.

"No. I'm sorry I'm not interested in truancy and not getting good grades. My anxiety would not be able to handle it," she said as made her way to the couch. Nicki chuckled. Her daughter definitely was the opposite of her. Tanya was very studious, and wasn't a fan of going out that much. She never drank, or tried drugs, simply because it just didn't entice her. She felt no need to. Tyler was the same, although, he did talk Nicki into letting him try a Margarita, he liked it, but swore to wait until he was legal. As to whether she believed him or not, she wasn't too sure.

The family spent a few hours together before the twins decided to get started on their homework. Nicki spent the night checking a few emails, before starting a conference call with Sherika, Wayne, and the others.

"Alright. I have a contact on the inside who's going to try and get us the information we want. Hopefully it gives us something," she said.

"Sweet. I've been doing some more digging. The emails seem to be triangulating around one central tower. Despite the shift in location, it has three main places it could come from. We'll check it out tomorrow," Drake said.

"Other than that, not much has changed. How's Toni doing?" Sherika asked.

"Honestly? Not good. She's freaked out, and really struggling with this. She's gonna spend some time at her sisters' this week. One to make it harder to find her and two to get her out of the house for the sake of her mental health. Dealing with lupus and stress is taking a toll. Jay's staying over at her house tonight," Nicki said as she sat back, taking a sip of the brandy she had gotten herself.