Chapter 10

Mike, Eleven, Dustin, Lindsay, and Lucas relax inside the old bus. They spend the next hour and a half listening for the sound of the helicopter, hoping it would cease. But with every minute the sound lingers.

Mike and Eleven sit on the floor in the back of the bus. Dustin lies down in the seat in front of them, his feet protruding into the aisle. Lucas sits on the other side of Dustin, tilting his head back against the seat. Lindsay lies in the seat front of Lucas, her feet sticking out into the aisle as well.

"Mike, are you there? Mike?" Nancy's voice says.

"The Supercomm," Dustin mutters. Mike rushes over to his backpack and gets out the radio.

"Mike, it's me, Nancy," the voice says again, "Mike, are you there? Answer. Mike, we need you to answer."

"Is that your sister?" Lucas asks.

"This is an emergency, Mike. Do you copy?" Nancy says, "Mike, do you copy?"

"Okay, this is really weird," Dustin comments.

"Don't answer," Mike says.

"She said it was an emergency!" Lucas exclaims.

"What if it's a trick?" Mike points out.

"It's your sister!" Lindsay exclaims.

"What if the bad people kidnapped her?" he argues, "what if they're forcing her to say this?"

"I need you to answer," Nancy says.

"It's like Lando Calrissian," Dustin says, "Don't answer."

"We need to know if you're there, Mike," Nancy says.

"Listen, kid, this is the chief. If you're there, pick up," Chief Hopper's voice says, "we know you're in trouble and we know about the girl."

The kids all look at Eleven.

"Why is she with the chief?" Lucas questions.

"How the hell does he know about..." Dustin asks.

"We can protect you, we can help you, but you gotta pick up," the chief says, "Are you there? Do you copy? Over."

Mike looks at the others for approval.

"Answer him, it's the chief," Lindsay says.

"We can trust him," Lucas agrees. Dustin nods.

"Yeah, I copy," Mike says, "It's Mike, I'm here. We're here."

"Whose all there?" Hopper asks.

"Me, Dustin, Lucas, Lindsay..." Mike pauses, looking at Eleven, "and the girl."

"Where are you?" he asks.

"Trapped in the bus at the junkyard," Mike explains.

"Stay there, I'm coming to you. Stay down and out of sight, do you understand?" he asks sternly.

"Yeah, we'll standby," Mike says, "over and out."

"Over and out," Hopper repeats. The radio goes silent and the kids rest knowing help is on the way. Lindsay sits back and picks at her bandages.

"Hurt?" Eleven asks.

"Oh, uh, no this doesn't hurt anymore," Lindsay tells her. Eleven tilts her head, raising an eyebrow at the girl's bloodied hands.

"Friends don't lie," she says. Lindsay sighs.

"I mean, they're a little sore," she tells the truth

"Mouth breather?" El asks.