Chapter 47

"Max? Max!" Lindsay shouts.

"Hey, calm down, it's okay. I'm right here," Max holds the girl. Lindsay breathes heavily and shakes for a moment as her girlfriend rubs her arm.

"I... I... had a bad dream... about last night," she gasps.

***

"I don't know, maybe they're friends?" Max suggests. The dog finishes eating.

"Maybe," Lindsay shrugs. The two go back inside and get ready for bed. They are snuggled up together when they hear screaming, "Max... Max do you hear that?"

Max sits up and turns on her bedside lamp. It starts to flicker wildly, "what the hell?"

The two get out of bed and sneak out to the front porch. Across the road, Eddie Munson's trailer flashes with light from the inside, just like with the lamp. He then comes running outside, going straight to his van. The van peels out of the trailer park, no Chrissy in sight.

"Max? Where's Chrissy?" Lindsay quietly says, "Max?"

Max watches the lights continue to flicker, "come on."

She starts to pull Lindsay back into the trailer, "Max? What about Chrissy?"

The redhead pulls the taller girl into the trailer, slamming the door shut and locking it, "Whatever just happened there... was not normal."

"We need to go over there! What if somethings happening to her?" the brunette cries.

"Let's just call the police and let them handle it," Max reasons.

"You just said it wasn't normal, they won't believe us. 'Oh, yeah, there's a trailer with flickering lights and a kid drove away really fast, can you come check it out?'" Lindsay mocks. Max rolls her eyes.

"We're not going over there," she states.

"What about Chrissy? She could be hurt!"

"I'm not letting you get hurt!" Max exclaims,
looking up and grabbing Lindsay's face. Tears start rolling from her eyes, "I'm not gonna let you get hurt by going over there. I will call the police and insist they come over here, I promise you."

She pulls Lindsay's forehead down to hers, "but I can't lose you. I'm not going to risk it."

Lindsay, now crying as well, nods, "okay..."

"Let's go to bed," Max says.

"Okay.."

***

"I know, Z, it's okay. I'm here," Max kisses her girlfriend on the cheek, "it's okay."

The two go out to the kitchen for breakfast. Police sirens wail in the distance. Both girls listen to confirm what they are hearing before going out to the porch. The two watch as multiple police cars come speeding through the trailer park to Eddie Munson's trailer.

Max's mom comes out from the trailer, "Looks like that Munson boy's up to no good again."

"Again?" Lindsay asks.

"Yeah, probably growing drugs in that trailer," she huffs.

"Drugs?" Lindsay whispers to Max, who shrugs. The three watch as Chief Powell and his officers talk to Eddie's uncle before going into the trailer.

Max's mom goes back inside, Max following, "come on. Lindsay!"

"I just want to listen, hear what they say," she explains as she hobbles towards the Munson trailer. Max rolls her eyes and rushes over to Lindsay, helping her walk.