Chapter 27

"Holy shit. What happened to you?" Mike asks. Mike, Lucas, Will, Max, and Lucas stand up from their table at the Hawkins Middle Snowball. Dustin's smile drops at his reaction.

"What do you mean, 'what happened' ?" he questions.

"What?" Mike exclaims.

"Dude," Lucas chuckles.

"Your hair!" Max giggles.

"Is there a bird nesting in there?" Lucas asks, reaching up to touch the curls. Dustin took Steve's advice on hair products and decided to try it out for the Snow Ball. His slicked back curls are different from the normal fro he wears everyday.

"What do you mean, 'what's wrong'? There's an no bird nesting in here, asshole, okay?" he exclaims offended, "I worked hard."

The others giggle at him and compliment his hair after. They turn to the dance floor as Time After Time comes on over the speakers. Couples join on the gym 'dance floor', swaying side to side. Lucas takes a deep breath and turns to Max.

"Max..." he says, "Hey. Um, it's nice, right? You want to, um... You want to, like... You know? Like, just you and me?"

"Lucas, you're a great friend, but I was hoping to get a dance with someone else, I'm sorry," she tells him. His smile fades away.

"Oh, okay, yeah... no worries," he says disappointedly.

"Hey, Zombie Boy," a girl calls to Will, "Do you wanna dance?"

"Um...... I don't......" he stutters, looking to Mike. The Wheeler boy gives him an approving nod, "I mean... I mean, yeah, yeah sure."

"Cool," the girl smiles. She takes him by the hand to the dance floor. Mike smiles at his friend as another girl approaches.

"Lucas, do you want to dance with me?" the girl asks. Max steps away from him, joining Dustin and Mike.

"Yeah, sure," he answers, a smile slowly coming back. He wanders away with her. Max, Mike, and Dustin are left at the table. Dustin exhales.

"Wish me luck. I'm going in," he says confidently. Max giggles slightly as he strides away to a group of girls.

"Why didn't you dance with Lucas?" Mike asks.

"I promised a dance to someone else," she admits, looking down. Lindsay hasn't shown up yet, making her wonder if she's even coming at all.

"With Lindsay?" he asks. Max turns red.

"What?" she asks, "No... no, I mean... okay, yeah. How'd you know?"

"The way she went at Billy, I mean, I've never seen her fight but she was different that night," he explains.

"I think she was just overwhelmed," Max suggests.

He shrugs, "She's just happier with you around. It's not hard to see."

Max smiles at the thought. She has never made anyone happy, not even her own parents.

"Hey, I think someone's looking for you," Max points to Eleven, who looks significantly different from the last time they saw her. In a dress with her hair natural and curly, she looks around the gym.

"Are you okay, if I..."

"Yeah, go, don't worry about me," she ushers him. He smiles and walks towards Eleven. Max watches as the girl smiles when she spots him, "And you're happier with El around, Mike Wheeler."

***

Knock, knock, knock!

Lindsay opens the door to Max Mayfield in her Snowball outfit, "Hey! What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at Snow Ball?"

She lets Max inside her house, locking the door behind her. Chief Hopper suggested that she stay home from the Snow Ball until things with the Hit List calm down.

"Well, I was," she answers.

"Then what are you doing here?" Lindsay asks obliviously as Max walks to her room.

"Well... I promised a dance to someone... but they weren't there," she explains. The pieces click together in Lindsay's head and she smiles.

"You ditched Snow Ball, to dance with me?" she questions. Max nods, "you didn't have to do that."

"I wanted to," she insists, "I'm happier with you, Lindsay Harrington."

"Really?" she asks. Max nods, "you make me happy too, Max Mayfield."

She takes Lindsay's hands, looking down at the new scabs.

"I'm sorry about your brother, I went a little too far," Lindsay apologizes. She left Billy with a broken nose and a couple of broken ribs, not like he didn't deserve it though. Max shakes her head.

"Don't apologize," she replies, "you protected me. Protected everyone."

Lindsay slightly smiles at this, "I won't let him hurt you anymore... I promise."

The taller girl grows watery eyes. She's always had to fend for herself and though she has thick skin, is relieved to be able to breathe. To be able to let her guard down and be herself. Lindsay takes Max into her arms.

"I'm sorry," Max sniffles.

"Don't be, you can cry for as long as you need to," the brunette answers. Max pulls away and takes Lindsay's head into her hands.

"You can cry too Lindsay, I just want you to know. You don't have to keep it all in anymore, I'm here."

"Okay," Lindsay answers.

"That night... with Billy... is that how you fought? For the Hit List?" she asks. The brunette looks away, nodding, "You didn't fight right away."

"I... I was afraid. I didn't want you to be angry at me if I hurt him. But then I remembered how he hurt you and I couldn't stop myself," Lindsay admits. The two get lost in each other's eyes, before Max takes Lindsay in for another hug. The shorter girl lies her head against Max's shoulder as the two sway with each other.

"Do you want to lie down?" Max asks, after noticing Lindsay yawning.

"Yeah."

The two girls separate only to lie down on the bed together. The two face each other, holding hands. Lindsay smiles.

"What?" Max asks.

"I just didn't imagine Max Mayfield to be cuddling with me on the night of the Snowball," she admits.

"Why not?" Max questions.

"I don't know... I just thought you'd wanna be at the Snowball," she sighs.

"There's no where I'd rather be, Z," Max reassures her. Lindsay smiles. She moves closer to Max, looking down at her lips slightly. Max notices and follows her lead, leaning in. The brunette closes her eyes and the two girls kiss. Lindsay pulls away her eyes locked with Max's. The Harrington girl's face blushes.

"Bitchin'."