Part 9

My nostrils flared as I reached for my sword, drawing a circle slicing through the air before standing with my feet apart and back straight, gripping my weapon - a relaxed pose, ready for combat.

There.

Indistinguishable soldiers in alike uniforms and shields began to encircle around us. Fierce. They had rage in their eyes, still burning from the last battle and fuelled by the joy in our lands. I trained my heart into a normal rhythm. The corner of my eye caught a glimpse of Felix and Y/N.

Felix stood in front of her, tall, straight, serious, shielding her from the army. I knew how much he hated the violation of our peace, yet he looked so untamed. Like a beast about to unleash itself on its threat. He wasn't the lovely boy I had met, innocent, doe eyed. He was the ruler of our kingdom. The dynast who conquered over others. My master.

Y/N stood back, taken by surprise but ready to fight. Rage kicking into her eyes. Vicious beauty.

Then, it all began.

The clash of weaponry against each other blared in my ears. The soldiers in hideous blood and cob-web coloured liveries outnumbered us, our youth in sophisticated white drooled blood as the enemies drove swords into their guts. However painful it was to watch, I fought - we fought - to keep our pride and land. Our brave servicemen crossed swords.

The beautiful walls of my home, now decorated in blood. The lotuses stained red.

"Felix," I bellowed over the conflict as he fell into step beside me. We guarded at each other's backs. "Go to the Cove. Take Y/N. My voice a bare whisper travelling with the wind.

He studied my face - silently weighing the consequences of my advice before lashing out at the rivals again.

He nodded only once. And we took action. We cleared his path to where Y/N battled.

I shielded them the entire way to the safe arms of the forest.

My eyes locked with Felix's. We beheld each other's faces.

Soulmates. Declared by the skies. Our lives incomplete without each other.

I gave him an understanding caress on his forearm.

Don't worry about me.

He gulped. A tear threatening to dribble out of his eyes.

My lips curled upwards and I flashed Y/N a smile as before I sprinted back to the scene - half stumbling.

What I returned to was ... disillusioning.

It was demolished, destructed, disintegrated ruins.

A pearl left my eye.

My home. Rage burnt in my heart. And I let that heartless monster kick in. There were no laws in war, no one can stop me. Rules, social, religious, do not matter.

The palace was in a condition where nothing can go downhill anymore.

I yanked at and tore a sheet off a bed in a luxurious guest suite and a torch from the ceiling. The fire in the wick flickered as brutally as my heart.

Callous.

I set the material on fire. It was large enough to span the entire boundary most of the personage fought on.

Sacrifices are valid.

I darted up the stairs set ablaze. On the roof - that's where the next part of my plan would take place. I tied two ends of the sheet to the balcony frame. Securely. And the other two around my waist as I balanced on the edge.

Then, I jumped.

The textile indeed spanned the entire forces. Covering them in a blanket of red and yellow.

I watched them burn. Both armies. That was their sacrifice.

I had one more task left incomplete.

My friends. The monarchs of this carcass.