Chapter 8

Two months later
Her doorbell rang. It was Bahaa. He had already called her informing her that he was on his way and that he had something to say.
- Maya, we were both forced to give up on our beloved ones because of circumstances that were out of our hands, and life had showed us both its ugliest side. But if there's something that I'm sure of is that its beautiful bright side is somewhere out there. So now we have two choices; either we hopelessly wait for a miracle that will not happen, or we go search for that hidden happiness...together, hand by hand. Listen Maya, ever since my wife joined the association I've told you about, I felt lonelier than I've ever did before. I visited her the other day only to find her kissing a man also diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. When I asked her about him, she told me that he was her "first" love. I can't tell you enough about how strongly my heart ached as I heard those words. Nevertheless, that's a reality that I cannot change. Then I've started to have feelings towards you. You reminded me of a little girl who keeps watering flowers – way more than she should - because she's just limitlessly generous. You're a splendid young lady Maya.
She just looked at him without saying a word. Maya's pain has not vanished and her wounds have not healed yet. Usually when it is cold, our body shivers as a response in order to generate heat. Although it was July, Maya felt like her world turned into a very cold place, causing her soul to constantly tremble, fruitlessly seeking warmth, ever since she lost her angel.
She recalled her younger self confidently saying that people choose their own fate. It turned out that she was wrong.
About her rose, it did not grow from the concrete after all, but it seems that another flower might bloom instead...a tulip, perhaps.
She felt like peace sneaked back into her heart. For the first time since a very long time, Maya smiled.
THE END