Book II: The Storm of Bronze

When Achilles rode to battle with the Greeks at his back, Hector rode to meet him with the Trojans at his. They assembled, a great vortex of war, on the high plain to face Zorzal who arranged his massive army to face them.

But Achilles's appearance now reduced Saderans to spineless jelly. They quivered helplessly when they saw the hero glowing in bronze like the War God himself.

But Hardy, who saw this fear, sent forth Giselle, her own apostle whose image was that of a dragon and whose scythe reaped many corpses. And when the Saderans saw this apostle of Hardy, order returned to them, for they knew that at least the underworld was on their side.

Fools. They did not know Hades would claim them should they fall, not Hardy.

The whole plain was filled with horses, men, and the glint of bronze. The earth trembled under their tramping feet. As the troops advanced, two heroes, eager for combat, moved forth to face each other in the field between them. Marcus, whose spear had pierced Patroclus, and noble Achilles.

Marcus strode out first, helmet nodding with every threatening step, rectangular war shield gripped in one hand, iron-tipped spear poised. Achilles, seeing him without chariot or horses, dismounted to face him.

Then Achilles began to close ground quickly. A frenzied lion, growling deep in his chest, eyes glaring and charging through sheer passion. Thus was Achilles as he closed in on Marcus.

When they were within each other's range, this vengeful lion was the first to speak, "Who are you to face mighty Achilles? I see but a boy who deludes himself with lies of greatness. Back off and save your youth, before I drive you away with my spear."

Marcus in reply said, "Don't think you can scare me off with words, as if I were a child. I am no innocent boy but rather a veteran killer. The great bunnies who fight as warriors know my name for I have slain many. And it was I who first struck that warrior, whose name was Patroclus, with my spear."

With those words, Achilles knew hate. A red mist came upon his sight, and he roared to this killer of bunnies, "Then you shall die by my spear!"

So great was the roar that Marcus stumbled, losing his balance by the force of Achilles's rage.

With that, Achilles drove his heavy spear of Pelian ash into the rectangular shield of Marcus, making it splinter as if struck by an axe. Strong was the son of Peleus's thrust, and he struck again so that it hit the same spot and pierced through to draw blood from Marcus's shield arm.

Back did Marcus go, for he had never seen such power in the hands of mortals. He sent forward his own spear, which he had fought with often, but was stopped on the rim of Achilles's shield. Seeing this, he fell back again so that Achilles might not thrust against him a second time.

And seeing this, Achilles threw his long-shadowed spear and hit the center of Marcus's shield, where the wood was not curved and gave no advantage. The Pelian ash shot right through. The shield gave a loud crack, and Marcus held it away and cringed while the spear rocketed over his back and stuck in the earth, taking much of the shield's wood with it.

Having dodged the missile, Marcus rose in a state of shock at how close the spear stood to him. Achilles drew his sword and leapt at him with a blood curdling yell.

Marcus recovered quickly and threw his spear. This spear which had slain many flew like one of Zeus's own bolts. But Achilles was quick too, and his perfect shield rose to deflect the missile as he descended on this Saderan youth.

In two strokes, the sword of Achilles rose to glint in sunlight then fell. First it severed Marcus's arm so that his scream pierced Olympus. Next it struck to remove the head from his shoulders and the scream was thus ended.