𝚘𝚗𝚎 • 𝚌𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚛 𝚌𝚊𝚞𝚜𝚎𝚜 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚘𝚜

AANG'S POV

"Uʜ- Aᴀɴɢ?"

I turned to Katara, who had worry etched in her eyes, one hand on her laptop tap pad and the other in mine. "What's wrong?" Her blue eyes were wide with worry as her hair was in her mouth, being bitten by her teeth. I moved my hand over to her hair and pulled it out of her mouth, smiling gently as I squeezed her hand.

"I can't... afford... the ALL treatment," she said, looking over at me as she moved the laptop so I could see the screen. "It's $100,000. I can barely afford clothing." I shrugged, turning to face her, watching the confused look on her face, as I smiled gently at her. "I already told the doctors that I'm paying for it. Don't worry, Tara, I've got your back."

"Uh- no," she uttered, looking up at me. I could tell she was straining to talk, a cough emitting from her throat as I squeezed her hand, eyeing the button that alerts a nurse. She instantly shook her head, "I'm fine."

Her voice was a harsh whisper and her skin was turning white, her hair was sticking to her forehead- she looked like she was dying. And, I mean, she kind of was. Cancer is no joke.

It's been two weeks since she was diagnosed- it's now July 22nd. We had moved her into her room but haven't started to decorate it yet- yes, we got the doctor's permission to do so. Autumn said we have the ability to decorate the room however we want, as long as if something is damaged we pay for it.

Her condition's gotten a little bit better. She's able to breathe with the help of breathing tubes, and with the help of Sokka and I, she can eat. Her feeding tubes take care of manually keeping her drinking water. She's still hooked up to IV tubes and a bunch of other technical shit, but it's keeping her alive, so I'm not complaining.

"Just let me die, it'll ease the pain anyways," she sputtered, her hands shaking in mine, and I could hear the heart monitor going out. I slammed my hand down on the button and an alarm went off as she started hyperventilating.

"We have a three-one-one on L'eau, room 204-C, code blue," a nurse said, running into the room. I gasped as they took her hand from mine and started messing with buttons on her breathing tube generator thingy. "Hey! What's going on?"

"I have no idea, but she may be going into cardiac arrest. Please step away, sir." I widened my grey eyes, fear rising in my throat as I choked out "she's 14, for fuck's sake!" The nurse looked at me and probably thought I was thoroughly insane, but I needed to know what was going on. She's all I have besides my sisters and parents, and if I'm being honest, she's all they have, too.

"She'll be fine, Aang," Autumn said as she walked into the room. "Katara, hold up both hands and then scale to ten how hard it is to breathe." When Katara put up 8 weak fingers, I pulled out my phone and called Sokka, watching as Autumn helped Katara with some breathing shit.

"She's like dying-"

"I'm on my way, you asshole, you could've called sooner."

I shrugged, ending the call the moment I heard the car running. I walked back over to Katara, who seemed to be doing a lot better, as Autumn had grabbed my arm and pulled me aside. I raised my eyebrow at her as she sighed, rubbing her temples.

"She can't be stressed," Autumn stumbled. "Raises her stupid blood levels and heart rate and things like that can't be messed with while she has ALL. We know this now. What did you even say that got her that worked up?"