HFC | Chapter VI

Chapter VI | Real vs. Fake

•a few days later

8 years ago...

"Checkmate." Mr. Floyd laughed and Phaedra applauded with a fraudulent smile.

"You won again. Good game Papa." She said and stood to her feet to leave.

"Sit your ass down Phae." Her father ordered and reset the pieces on the chessboard. She sat down and laughed lightly.

"You said I could go after playing a few rounds of chess." Phaedra reminded and her father nodded as he lit a cigar.

"I did but you aren't even trying." He chuckled.

"What's the point? We both know you gone kick my ass anyway." She shrugged.

"Now that's a damn lie. You know how to play chess." He assured and Phaedra rolled her eyes.

"I know but I have shit to do." Her father exhaled the smoke and arched an eyebrow.

"You play to win not to finish." He recited one of his quotes. It was something he said a lot, especially to Phaedra. She understood the saying but felt it didn't revolve around her at the time.

"You tell me that all the time Papa. I get it. Can I go now?" She questioned irritated. Her father placed the cigar in the ashtray and rested in his chair. They stared at one another as the summer breeze ruffled leaves in the yard.

"Chess is a strategic game. It teaches you patience and balance. You also learn your opponent movements in the process. It's something you're going to need to know when you take over. I won't be here forever."

"You remind me everyday Papa."

"Then you should take it serious. I understand you're twenty-four, you like to party and drink with your friends. I did too but some days I had to put the bullshit aside to build my empire. You want to walk around here and call yourself Queen Phae, you gotta put in the mothafuckin' work." Her father informed. Phaedra couldn't fight the smile that grew on her face. Her father preached most of these things daily, but she took note of it. Whenever she was out she enjoyed herself, but she also watched her surroundings.

"Corrin can vouch for me when it comes to watching our backs. I'm never lacking." She informed and placed the gun on the table.

"That's good but you aren't going be up on everything Phae. That's why I train you throughout the week." Phaedra exhaled and nodded.

"I know you're preparing me for what's next in my life, but I assure you that I got this Papa. Now Corrin has been waiting for me for an hour. If you aren't going to let me go, I should let her know." She said. Before her father could answer, one of his employees approached him. He spoke lowly on the problem but Phaedra heard bits and pieces. The employee leaves as Mr. Floyd nodded and stood to his feet. He retrieved his cigar and placed it between his teeth.

"Get out of here." He ordered to his daughter as he nodded his head towards the exit. Phaedra placed her gun back on her waist. She gave her father a hug and grabbed her purse.

"Don't forget the queen is the most powerful piece!" He yelled behind her.

"The kingdom is her domain to protect!" She replied, nodding her head to her best friend Corrin for them to leave. Her father shook his head and chuckled. He knew his daughter knows the ins and outs of the business. Once she was old enough to understand, he trained her the same way his father trained him. It wasn't easy but he had gotten it done. Only time would tell if she would take it seriously or not.