HFC | Chapter XIV

Chapter XIV | Blood Is Thicker?

"One hour until opening big bro." Spriggs says and rubs his hands together.

"I know. You ready?" Dro questions while adjusting his tie in the mirror.

"Yea why you nervous?" Spriggs grins and arches an eyebrow. Dro scoffs a laugh while grabbing the jacket to his three piece suit.

"A little. This ain't the nothing like the strip club's opening. This is our second business that could either sink or float." He says and his brother smacks his lips.

"Nigga everybody loves to smoke and wear fye clothing." Spriggs says and Dro nods.

"I don't smoke but I appreciate the words of motivation." He says and the two dap hands.

"You know I got you bro. It's like Pop always said, you can't fail without trying. With that being said if this business goes to shit, I want my money back." He says and places a hand on Dro's shoulder. The two laugh at his joke before dapping into a hug and pulling apart. Spriggs knows how to cheer his brother up. They balance one another out in the dark world they live in. As the brothers converse, a soft knock is placed on the manager's office door. The men turn in the direction seeing Phaedra standing there with a hand behind her back.

"Am I interrupting something?" She questions sweetly.

"Not at all. I was just about to leave." Spriggs says rubbing over the top of his head that held a durag.

"We'll before you go, I got you something in celebration." She says while extending a medium size black bag to him. Spriggs playfully gasps and places a hand over his chest. Dro couldn't help but to roll his eyes at his dramatics.

"For me?" Phaedra giggles and nods while he takes the bag. He already knows what it is because the two went shopping earlier for it. He takes out the black square box with gold trimming, tossing the bag over his shoulder. Lifting the top of the box, he reveals the diamond encrusted cuban-link chain.

"I know you lost your other one so I figured you needed another. Congratulations on your big night." Phaedra says.

"Damn this shit is nice. Thanks sis." He says and removes it from the box. She helps him put it on and he hugs her afterwards. He then leaves out the room leaving her and Dro to themselves.

"That was nice of you." He says and she smiles while extending another bag

"I got something for you too." She says. Dro couldn't fight the grin that appeared on his face.

"You didn't have to do that. Just you being by side tonight is enough." He assures while taking the bag.

"Open it ." Phaedra moves in closer to him as he takes out the rectangular box. His heart dropped at the twenty-four karat gold watch with the diamond trim around the face and wristband. On the face of the watch is a picture of him and his parents. Phaedra removes it out of the box and turns it over. The quote Spriggs just recited to him is engraved on the back. Phaedra places the watch on his wrist and closes the clasp. Dro flips his wrist around to view the picture and smiles. Now he feels that they're always with him.

"Thank you. This is...I don't know what to say." He says as Phaedra takes his hand.

"Spriggs helped me with the idea. He said you didn't have any thing like it so I knew I had to get it." She explains.

"You didn't have to do that Phae." He says and takes another glimpse at the watch.

"Don't worry about it. We should get going anyway. Everyone is waiting up front."