HFC | Chapter XII

Chapter XII | His Business pt. II

Ten years ago...

"You're two grand short." Mase informed, tapping the money on it's side to straighten it. He licks the pad of his thumb and begins to count again. Nativia watched as he thumbed through the funds. It was a once a month thing, like a landlord coming to collect his rent money. However, she's not a tenant and he's not a landlord. He's collecting debt from the Rogue's that Mr. Rogue owed to him.

"Just double it and add it to my next bill." Nativia said. He laughed bitterly and sat  back in the chair.

"If I keep doing that we'll be back at the beginning, plus some." Mase said and Nativia nodded and shrugged of her shoulders.

"Than it'll be that then." She responded and shrugged. Mase finished counting the money and kissed his teeth.

"Why are you doing this Nativia?" He questioned with a frown.

"My husband made a deal with you and when he died-" Mase interrupted her.

"I'm not talking about that. You want to keep paying me from your paycheck, why don't you come work for me? You could be making double in a day of what you make a day." He confirmed and Nativia shook her head.

"I'm not working for you Mase, we discussed this." Nativia said. A 22 year old Adonis listened at the door of his bedroom. He heard the door open and his mother talking to someone. Since it was after midnight, he knew exactly who it was.

"If you don't want to work for me, your sons are more than capable." He heard Mase say. He knew his mother wasn't going for that.

"Adonis and Aden are not selling drugs for you. They both have a future ahead of them, Adonis will be finished college in a year or two."

"You know how much money he can make on that campus? Those college students love to get high. He'd be making triple of that shit Tiv. Not to mention he'd be putting food on this table and keeping this roof over your fucking head!"

"No." Nativia answered sternly. Mase scoffed a laugh and scooted back in his chair. The two stared sternly at one another as he stood to his feet.

"I'll be back for that two grand tomorrow. You don't have my money, you'll be buried six feet deep right next to that bitch ass husband of yours." He warned. Nativia sat unbothered as Mase left the house and slammed the door behind him. His threat felt empty to her but she knew not to play with him. He'd get his money whether it took her ten years to pay it off. Feeling a hand on her shoulder, she smiles and looks to the right of her.

"How much of that did you hear?" She questioned and Adonis exhaled.

"All of it." He informed and his mother laughed and pat the back of his hand.

"Can't get nothing past you huh?" Adonis shook his head and walked around her to have a seat. He stared into her tired, puffed eyes and took her hand as he leaned in his lap.

"Let me help Mama." He pleaded and Nativia denied it with a shake of her head.

"No Adonis. You don't need to get involved in any of this." She assured him and raised her eyebrows.

"Why not?" He questioned and his mother exhaled deeply. She squeezed his hand to calm herself before getting even more frustrated.

"I can't lose you like I lost your father. Do you understand me?" Adonis nodded as the tears brewed in her eyes. With a weak smile, his mother placed a hand on his cheek and stood to her feet. She planted a kiss on his forehead before she returned to her bedroom. Adonis sat back in his chair and heard his mother's door close. He hated to see her struggle with everything. That's why he knew he had to do what was best for him and the family. The next morning, Adonis was up before his family. He didn't want his mother to ask questions or slow him down from his moves. The door to Mase's office opened and revealed the random visitor. Mase and his guards pointed their guns at him, surprised at his bold entrance. Unbothered, Adonis closed the door behind him and arched and eyebrow.