Prologue

"I don't know what I'd do if anything ever happened to you."

I flew towards her house, scared and excited. Maybe she was feeling better today and I could stay just a little longer. She kept scolding me for leaving so soon but I knew the cold was making it worse. As I arrived at her window, my heart dropped.

Empty.

I quickly flew around to every window, seeing nothing but furniture. Every picture was gone off the walls, every pair of shoes sitting by the door were gone. Every room had been emptied out. Her stuffed animal collection (I used to make fun of her for it but now I would give anything to see it sitting by that bed again), her bookshelf, her collection of crystals on top of the dresser, both lamps sitting by her bed. All of it was gone.

I tried the window, sighing as it gave way, before making my way inside and looking around frantically for anything. I searched every surface and opened every drawer until finally, in her nightstand, her favorite necklace and a small note.

Jack,

It was meant to be this way. I'll always love you, but don't come looking for me. All I do is hurt you.

-J

The tears began streaming down my face as I collapsed, hearing the crackle of ice and frost beginning to cover her room. Suddenly, Bunny's voice was behind me.

"Mate, it's time to go... C'mon." I stood up and wiped my eyes, turning towards him. Her entire room was frozen, every inch of it was covered in a thin sheet of ice. I shoved her note in my pocket and put her necklace around my neck.

"You're right, Bunny." He began to nod until I walked past him. He grabbed my arm, but I didn't face him.

"Where are you going?"

"To find her." I shook him off, ignoring him calling my name as I took off out the window. I had to find her before she left me for good.

I would start at the hospitals.