Tickets for the Circus

A/N: Warning: S/A attempt

"This semester seemed to go by so quickly," Melanie sighed, "Maybe because I've been slacking off the entire time."

"I wish it hadn't," Max sighed, "I missed out on a lot. I was just so exhausted and mentally drained that I stayed in my room a lot. I could have done so much more."

"Like what?" Amara asked, "There really isn't much to do around here."

"I don't know." Max replied, "I guess I could have met more people or invited more people over. But I just got so exhausted."

"Well, what's done is done. And summer is almost here." Melanie smiled.

"I honestly just dread what life will be like after I graduate." Max sighed, "But that won't be for a while, will it?"

Ray appeared from around a corner and waved at Max. She walked over to the group. "There you are! I've been looking everywhere!"

"You could have just texted me and asked where I was," Max waved back.

"I tried that, but no reply." Ray looked a bit annoyed, "I've been trying to get ahold of you for hours."

Max took out her phone and looked at it. She had tons of notifications piling up. Max put her phone away and looked back at Ray, a little embarrassed, "I guess I accidentally turned my notification off... I'm sorry."

"Come with me," Ray grabbed Max's arm, "I need to talk to you real quick."

"Hey, what's this about?" Melanie grabbed Max's other arm, "Mind telling us what's going on?"

"It's not any of your concern." Ray replied, "It's... complicated."

Max thought for a moment, trying to come up with a lie to tell them, and then spoke, "We... got into a bit of an argument last night. We decided to keep it between the two of us."

Ray nodded, "Yeah. So we really need to speak alone, Melanie."

"Alright... it's just that you two hang around together a lot and are all secretive. I'm starting to think that you're hiding something from us." Melanie sighed, "Are you sure you aren't?"

"I'm sure." Max smiled, "And we aren't trying to be secretive."

"Alright, I get it. I'll see you later, then." Melanie let go of Max's arm.

Ray led Max about a block away and ducked into an alley with her, "You really need to keep your notifications on, Max."

"I know, I'm sorry." Max sighed, "But what is it?"

"Several things. First of all, James and Julius are coming back here in a day or so. They had to stay in their kingdom a while longer to take care of some issues that they're having there."

"Issues?" Max asked, "Is it related at all to what we're dealing with?"

"I'm not sure." Ray sighed, "They've been so secretive about everything that not even I know much."

"Is there anything else?"

"Yes. Secondly, the Sanctuary Circus is back."

"Is that the circus that cursed Juliette?"