CHAPTER I - A New Warrior

"Amelia, this could cost you your life, y'know?" a woman questioned. My mother paced around the living room nervously.

"I know, and I don't care. We'll leave at sunrise." my mother responded. Those were the last words I ever heard from my mom. I thought it was my fault she left. I knew I was the reason she left. Ever since my mother passed, life has been pretty simple. I've lived in Crete Village, a small village in Paris my whole life, though I've been meaning to run away.

"Cherilette! Haven't seen you in a while." the lunch woman announced. I looked at her with the side of my eye with an annoyed look on my face."

"It would be easier to say Cherie but whatever." I responded. I went to sit down at the empty side of the lunch table when suddenly Jocclon pushed my shoulder lightly.

"Hey kid! Ready to lose later? They announced us as the battlers today. This was new information so I looked at him with wide eyes.

"Scared already? Save some for later." he walked away cackling. After lunch was the battle. I wasn't prepared since I've been skipping classes recently. I didn't know what technique he would use. I went to the bathroom and almost began crying because I was afraid what would happen to me if I failed. I would have to step down to rank 25.

I heard on the intercom the battle was starting and for the opponents to go to the locker rooms. Once I arrived, they immediately handed me some battle gear.

"Suit up, kid like you is gonna need it." The man said.

"Is it so hard to call me by my name? My name is not kid. My name is Cherie." I pushed him away with my shoulder and put on the gear he had given me. It was time for me to go out to the arena. I walked out with my head held high and my shoulders pushed all the way back. Jocclon stood eye to eye with me in the middle of the field. I heard everyone chanting his name, with nobody chanting mine.

"Your breath smells terrible." I said with a blank expression on my face towards Jocclon.

"Same back to you, do you even brush your teeth?" He responded. I nodded my head in a yes motion. The referee put the flag in between us. He counted to three.

"Take 5 steps away from each other. Begin the battle!" the referee shouted. It was a windy day, so during the battle I had to push the curls in my hair away from my face. Jocclon had no strategy. He tried to run towards me but all I had to do was run away. I finally learned his moves. All his moves were offense. I just had to strike first then he couldn't defend himself. I threw my shield to the side and stood bravely with my sword. The whole crowd gasped because nobody ever dared to fight against Jocclon. He looked a bit shocked himself too.

"We've got a brave little princess here, do we?" Jocclon said with a wide grin on his face. I looked him in the eye and said nothing. It was a trick my personal trainer taught me. Apparently it's supposed to intimidate your opponent. I ran straight at him. He ran straight at me. Jocclon forwarded his sword, holding the blade towards my stomach. Right before he struck me I moved away slightly. I might have avoided a stab but I didn't avoid the deep cut I got in my side.