Chapter Six

I sit on the floor scribbling furiously. I've decided to go directly into the Inkworld, and try to send Meggie's books back to her at the same time. Every few seconds I drop the pencil and grab the eraser, and a few seconds later I pick up the pencil again. I stop when my hand cramps, then start again as soon as it stops.

Soon, I can't figure out anything better, and yet I'm still unsatistfied. Because, of course, I'm no author.

This will have to be good enough, I tell myself, then begin crafting my apology letter to my parents. This is a tricky task - understatement of the century - because, obviously, my parents are completely unaware of this ability existing outside of Inkheart. And I'm certain that they won't believe a word of it.

I find it cast upon myself to explain this all, on top of explaining exactly why I'm going into the book, and why I'm leaving them for a short while.

And that it's possible I will never come back.

What an upbeat and cheery letter.

When done, I fold the paper neatly into quarters and set it on my bedside table. That should be in clear sight.

Then, I make myself comfortable - still on my chairr - and review the words that will hopefully take me to the Inkworld, as well as the things I will be bringing.

I was unable to find any Renaissance-like apparel, so my favorite white polo shirt and old scuffed jeans would have to be sufficient. Which they hardly were. I'd stuffed the big leather coat my mom had gotten for our trip to Alaska in a canvas bag bought for the same purpose (why they thought leather would be good for Alaska I'm not sure). I'd also added a small sketchpad and pencil.

Similar to what Meggie brought into the Inkworld with her.

I stare at the words scrawled across my notebook paper. It begins with a brief mention of the box returning to its owner, a passage I put very little thought into. I glance once more around my book-filled room - goodbye, I think - then clear my throat and start to read.

The streets of Ombra were crowded that day. It was a market day. A light drizzle fell on the people gathered around shops and stalls. The strolling players were still performing, even in the rain. Fire-dancers still played with their fire; tightrope-walkers still danced with the clouds; and minstrels sang on, all seemingly oblivious to the people huddled in the square.

No one noticed when the girl appeared. Much less did they notice her odd fashion of clothing. The girl went unnoticed until she stepped into the crowd, and even then only those she had to move aside took notice of her. She was just another person in the marketplace of Ombra.

As I read, I can feel the world around me changing. The walls covered in books vanish, to be replaced by wooden buildings and vendor stalls. Something wet hits my head, then more and more until it's a steady drizzle. The silence and solitude of my room morphs into the bustling of many people.

I reach the end of my writing and look around me. I see everything I'd imagined it to be - even the young man stuck in the pillory not ten yards away from me.

It worked.

I'm in the Inkworld. This is amazing.

My awe is short-lived. The unnoticed part of my plan doesn't exactly work as well as well as I had hoped. People turn to stare at me, standing in my otherworldly clothes. I snatch my coat out of my bag and shrug it on as quickly as I possibly can, but that clearly is not fast enough.

"You there!" a deep, gruff voice calls from somewhere above my head. He must be a guard on horseback. And probably not all that creative, based off how he addresses me.

I look up - yep, on a big grey horse gleaming with rain - as he says, in an extremely gruff voice, "Where did you come from?"

"I-I -" I pause. Great start, Halley. You've gotta do better. I clear my throat and try again. "I came from somewhere far away. Somewhere it is common for people to. Um..."

I trail off, faltering from the intense accusatory stare the man - probably a palace guard - is giving me.

What do I say? Evidently my plan to slip quietly into this world was a complete flop.

I am jostled out of my frozen fast-thinking state by the guard grabbing me by the collar of my coat.

"Normal people don't suddenly appear in the streets," he says, "And we have a special way of tending to those who are unnatural."

I shriek as high-pitched as I possibly can, hoping to spook his horse, but the horse must be pretty bombproof because when I want to, I can be way up there in the high notes.

I kick and thrash and otherwise make the guard's life difficult. Despite my protests, I find myself hauled through the castle gates and tossed unceremoniously into a large metal cage just inside the gate but not at all hidden from view.

"This is temporary," says the guard, "you won't be in here for very long." He grins maliciously as the barred door closes with a clang.

After a few frantic but unsuccessful attempts at getting out, I slide down to the floor and put my face in my hands on my knees.

This is not what I'd intended to happen at all.

######

NOTE FROM AUTHOR

Hey! So I got a few of comments saying don't delete So I came up with a sort of storyline for it

So I will be continuing this story and thank you SOOOOOO MUCH to those who commented