1. back then...

Kaeya watched as traveler and Paimon's frames exit the ruin and only turning back once having seen them return outside, "There's no way hilichurls can organize an ambush like this with their limited mental capacity..." Bubbles and giggles could be heard from behind him, 'Oh?' Back still turned, a soft ㅡ and an almost faint sound ㅡ of magic could be heard, alerting Kaeya that the person (or thing?) was walking towards him, not like it was trying to hide that fact anyway.

Kaeya sighed, "Thus YOU were behind this." Finally turning towards the abyss mage, the latter giggled even more and raised its staff to cast a spell, "Gohus, chiso Vonph!" But Kaeya moved not. After all, why would he when he can hear the sound of crackling flames in the distance? Ah just thinking about it brings a smile to his face, to think he would even follow him here in the depths of this ruin.

Ahㅡ and there it is, concentrated units of fire launched into the room, and along with it brings a familiar red-head to sight, one may not see him clearly within the flames because of how his outfit and hair match his elements so much. If Kaeya didn't know better, he would've remarked the second the man threw himself into the room and upon the abyss mage, tackling it down and knocking it out in one fell swoop, a knight in shining armor?

"Knights of Favonius, always so inefficient." Diluc extinguished the flames of his claymore before putting it aside and fixing his clothing, Kaeya let out a chuckle at this, "Agree to disagree, but, your involvement in this just made things a whole lot more interesting." Kaeya remarked before walking towards the knocked-out figure of the abyss mage, it was rendered unconscious alright. The mage had very little elemental traces on it, ones that a normal person wouldn't be able to tell at all. The pattern was different, but it's still from the abyss nonetheless, no hilichurl nor abyss mage he had encountered before had these types of markings...

Diluc huffed, "I took a look around the area and while it may be their hideout, it's like they only settled here until recently, there must be another place they treat as a hideout..." DIluc sighed and shook his head as Kaeya stood up from his kneeling position beside the abyss mage, "Amber and Lisa investigated the other temples, and from traveler's words it seems that it's the same for the others." Diluc takes in Kaeya's words and stares off into wonder as his brows furrowed, how can this man not have any wrinkles.

"What could be their motive..." Diluc mumbles but loud enough for the bluenette to hear. Silence engulfed the room for a few moments and Kaeya only spoke when Diluc had finally snapped out of his trance, likely to get suspicious of him again, "Ah well, beats me... though the magic used isn't any normal abyss mage-y magic that's for sure... could this be new or did they somehow dig up an ancient spell..." Diluc raised a brow at him, ah he failed.

He fumbled, "W-well would you look at the time!" Kaeya released a strained chuckle and looked everywhere but Diluc, not seeing how the latter almost released a snort at his attempt to avoid him, "There's no clock in sight." "Ahahaha.... I have to report back to Jean about my findings, uh, catch you later, Luc!" And away he goes, obvious that he was desperate to leave the room as soon as possible and Diluc didn't contain his laugh anymore before catching up to him.

__________

"...You're not hurt though are you...?"

"Oh? Is our mighty Master Diluc concerned about me?~"

"I... You know what, die."

"Pfft--- You look like a tomato!"