Ch. 19 Forever My Love

When I got back to the room Clemont was packing what few things he possessed. "What did they want?"

  "Nothing," I said.

  "You mean nothing you want to tell me."

  "Right," I said.

  "Great," he said. "Now I'm going to spend the rest of the night trying to figure out what it is."

   I grinned. "Did Serena come by?"

  "Oh yeah. I gave her the box."

  "What?"

  "I'm just kidding," he said. "I told her you'd be back in a few minutes."

  "Thanks," I said. I picked up the box, then walked over to Serena's room and knocked on the door.

   Iris opened. "Let me guess, you're looking for Serena."

  "You're a genius," I said.

  "You can call me Clemont. No, don't. That's kind of creepy." She turned around. "Serena, it's lover boy."

   Serena came to the door shaking her head. She stepped outside, shutting the door behind her. "She makes me crazy."

  "Iris is crazy," I said. "I think it's from eating all those mashed Amazon jungle slugs."

  "I just threw up in my mouth," Serena said. She looked down at the box I was carrying. "What's that?"

  "It's a present."

  "For me?"

  "Of course." I handed her the box. "Open it."

   She tore the paper from the box, then lifted its lid. "Oh, wow." She pulled a royal blue-colored dress from the box, then handed me the box and held the dress out in front of her. "Ash."

  "Sonia Lynn and my mom took care it."

  "It's beautiful." She looked into my eyes. "What's it for?"

  "Tonight."

   Her forehead her furrowed. "What's tonight?"

  "That's a surprise. I'll be back at seven to get you."

   Serena tilted her head. "What are you up to, Ketchum?"

  "I'm not telling you."

   She reached out to take my hand. "You can tell me."

   I stepped back. "Don't read my mind, you'll ruin the surprise."

  "You're finally on to me."

  "I'll be back at seven." I smiled as I walked to my room.

   Later that evening Clemont and my mother watched as I put on a suit coat and tie. The coat was a little large, but under the circumstances it was the best we could come up with.

  "You look so handsome," my mother said. "Here's your corsage." She handed me a white glossy box containing a cluster of white roses. Considering where we were, I didn't know how she had managed the box, let alone the flowers.

  "What time is it?"

  "It's almost seven."

  "Is everything ready?" I asked.

   My mother smiled. "Yes."

  "All right," I said. "So am I."

   My mother and I walked to Serena's room. I knocked, and her mother immediately answered.