Ch. 22 Taco King

Our three cabs arrived simultaneously on the corner of Colorado Boulevard and Allen Avenue, just out of view of the Taco King. Once we were all out on the street I asked the drivers to wait; then we walked toward the restaurant.

  "Is she there?" I asked Brock.

   He looked a moment, then said, "Yeah. I think that's her."

  "You think?"

  "She's changed some."

  "As long as we're here, can we get something to eat?" Clemont asked.

  "I want something too," Korrina said.

  "Sure," I said.

  "But let's take care of Marnie first."

    Even though there was a line of cars at the drive-through, the restaurant was mostly empty, with just two scary-looking, twenty something-year-old men sitting across from each other at one of the side tables.

   I walked up to the counter. I could understand why Brock wasn't sure if it was Marnie because it took me a moment to recognize her too. She was turned away from me working the drive-through window. She had dyed a single pink streak down her long let-down hair and was wearing a black-and-purple cap and a Taco King shirt that looked several sizes too large. She had a tattoo what looked like a Morpeko's face that was peeking out of a purple pokeball partly covered by her sleeve.

   Marnie still hadn't noticed us when the boyish-faced kid at the counter asked, "May I help you?" (I swear he looked like he was twelve.)

  "Uh, sure." I turned back. "Everyone want burritos?"

  "I'll have a taco," Serena said.

  "Me too," Korrina said. "Two, please."

  "Two beef chimichangas," Calem said.

  "Okay, I think I've got this," I said, glancing first at Marnie, then back at the kid. "I would like eight bean burritos, two beef chimichangas, four hard-shell tacos, and eight large drinks."

  "Add a couple deluxe nachos," Calem said. "And some churros. Eight of them."

  "I don't want a churro," Korrina said.

  "I'll eat yours," Calem said.

  "Eight churros," the kid said, punching in our order. "And two deluxe nachos. That's sixty-one fifty."

   While I was paying him, Marnie turned around. It took her a moment to recognize me, but it was obvious when she did. She froze, her already pale countenance blanching still more. All she said was,

  "Ketchum."

  "Hi, Marnie."

   She looked terrified. "What are you doing here?"

  "We need to talk," I said.

   She saw the rest of our group and looked even more frightened. She turned to an older Hispanic woman who was putting together orders. "Carlita, may I take my break now?"

  "Not with that drive-through line," the woman replied. She glanced over at me. "May I help you?"

  "I'm just an old friend," I said.

  "Well, Miss Mikki is working, old friend."

  "I'll wait," I said. "No problem. We'll just eat."

  "I won't be long," Marnie said anxiously. She glanced furtively at the others again, then went back to the drive-through window.