★ 12. sneaky (?)

After Bel visited your quarters, saying that 'His Majesty asked for you,' you found yourself organizing papers in his office as the blonde writes away on his desk.

It wasn't a hard task, just placing scrolls and papers that probably have the power to start a war in their designated drawers.

Placing the last scroll that you had in your hands into the drawer, you walked back to his desk to get more. One, two, three, four, five... I should have brought a basket or something. I might crumple—

As your thoughts began to wander off, you dropped a paper. 'Treaty of—' Yeah, you didn't need to read more to know what you just dropped was something very important.

He didn't see that, did he? you peeked to your right to see if Claude noticed, but you looked away immediately when you saw that he was already observing you. I— He could've said something instead just looking! Staring like that makes me more nervous...

With his face being supported by his right hand, he eyed you silently. Then, his eyes shifted to the paper you dropped.

"Did you know that treaty involved three other foreign countries?" he finally spoke, but you didn't like where this was going. "One of them being a military-focused—"

Is this a new way of threatening someone?! you dropped down to the floor, hands scrambling to pick up the paper. "I'm sorry. I'll wipe it, no dust will be found on it, I won't crumple it, and—"

Before you could go on and on about what you would do to make sure the paper remains clean, the door opened.

The sound of the door suddenly opening startled you. Going inside his office without knocking? Who would have the guts to do that...

You were about to stand up from under the desk to check who had the audacity, but then the person began to speak.

"I wasn't able to find her, Your Majesty. Her quarters seems to be empty, seeing as no one answered." you knew that voice. It belonged to the man you oh so want to avoid—Felix.

Yeah, you remained glued to the floor.

After finding out that Felix was a double spy (?) all along, and that he might know about the thingy that happened at the pub, you could no longer look at him in the eye.

He was so suspicious when you asked him for advice back then. You still couldn't get over about how you were dumb enough to ignore his emphasis.

Claude waved his hand, as if dismissing what Felix reported. "It's fine, she's here—"

Absolutely the fuck not! I'm not mentally prepared yet! and so in an attempt to stop Claude from selling you out, you pinched his thigh.

His eyes immediately narrowed down at you. It's obvious that he's not pleased with what you did. But it's fine, he always lets whatever crazy shit you do slide anyways. "Why aren't you getting up—"

Get the hint, please— you put a hand on your lips, silently telling him to shut it.

"Why am I not getting what?" Felix sounded confused. He thought that what Claude was saying was directed to him.

"Getting... Getting ready." surprisingly, Claude played along. "You're supposed to be at the grounds right now."

"I am?" even more confusion on the knight's part. "But I don't have anything to do there, Your Majesty."