The Start of Something New

◤━━━━━◥

The ski lodge is alive with excitement as the inhabitants enjoy the festivities of the New Year's Party. George sits on the sofa alone, reading as his mother approaches.

"George, you're supposed to be on vacation".

George's mother takes the book from his hands, gaining his disgruntled attention.

"I like reading. This is my vacation," He grumbles.

"At least go to the teen party. Please?" His mother pleads.

He doesn't want to go to the teen party, making new friends only ends up with him moving to somewhere else and losing them instantly. But he knows his mother feels guilty that George has no friends, so he reluctantly agrees.

"Fine. Can I have my book back?"

George's mother hands the book back to George with a relieved smile. George gives her a small smile back.

"Thank you".

◤━━━━━◥

In the ski lodge's gym, Dream and his father shoot hoops on the empty court. A woman enters to see the two passing a ball back and forth.

"Keep working left, Dream. Got a guard in the championship game we're expecting. You'll torch them!" Dream's father calls out.

"Left?" Dream asks.

"Yeah, he looks middle, you take it downtown".

"Kay".

Dream fakes left and the ball goes perfectly through the hoop.

"That's it! I wanna see that in the game," Dream's father cheers on.

"Are you two really playing basketball right now?" Dream's mother reproaches.

Dream and his father share a look.

"Yeah," They both reply.

"This is our vacation. Take a break from basketball and let's get ready for the party".

"Have fun," Dream chuckles and turns back to the hoop.

"Oh no. You have a party to attend too. There's a kids' party downstairs," His mother commands.

"Kids' party?" Dream winces, thinking of ball pits and arts and crafts.

"Young adults," His mother corrects, "And take a shower before you go, both of you stink".

Dream sighs before running to the net and dunking the ball. Dream's father cheers as his wife tsks in annoyance.

◤━━━━━◥

The party rages on as Dream enters in a blazer and dress shirt, slowly wandering through the crowded room. George grips onto his book as he also makes his way into the crowd, catching the attention of a partygoer who tips an oversized hat in his direction.

"Howdy," The partygoer greets.

George awkwardly laughs, then rolls his eyes as he finds an open chair to sit down and read.

An emcee claps as he jumps on stage to join a couple standing next to a pair of microphones.

"Give it up for these two!" The emcee shouts.

The audience erupts into cheers as the teens leave the stage.

"Who's up next? Anyone?"

The emcee scours the crowd, finds his prey, and a spotlight lands on Dream. Across the room, a twin spotlight finds George. Dream shakes his head and laughs, while George looks up from his book, squinting in the light. Dream glances towards the people next to him.