Chapter 4: The Fall of the Nott Family

You know, in the grand scheme of things, maybe everything was just waiting to  crash and burn like a phoenix

You know, in the grand scheme of things, maybe everything was just waiting to  crash and burn like a phoenix. Just not the whole redemption and reliving a whole new life part. They could do with the 'reliving' part to be honest. Because on the morning of November 28th, the Slytherin's woke up to the news of Senior Nott's death. Theo was in the middle of eating his morning porridge, courtesy of Daphne's food piling habits, when the news was broken to him.

Draco and the rest of the school were uncomfortably forced into silence, watching Theo with unsteady breaths. Theo, had all but ripped the Daily Prophet out of Millie's hands and aggressively turned to read the article. Senior Nott was found dead in the early morning, after he couldn't call for attendance that day in Azkaban.

There was no reason to suspect that a Dementor had gotten to the man, but it was ruled that way. Because of the new laws passed, there was a decrease in Dementors because it was found morally unjust to put the prisoners through that.

It made more sense to Draco that Senior Nott died of older age and a weak body than it was a rogue dementor wanting to sustain its own life.

Theo put the newspaper down delicately, and got up, storming out of the Great Hall with a dark aura. Draco looked at Theo's parole auror and quickly cursed. "Right, I'll go with him, and we'll see you guys in transfiguration okay?"

"Yeah, sure," Pansy whispered, face ashen and eyes glistening.

Draco got up and walked quickly out of the Great Hall, turning his head left and right, trying to decipher where Theo went. He stormed closer to the Slytherin common rooms, before going the opposite way. Finding Theo was easy after that, he had slowed his steps and was silently hunched in himself.

"Theo?" Draco called, hand reaching over to grasp his friend's shoulder.

Theo spun around, falling into Draco's arms with a silent cry. Draco simply put his arms around the boy's shoulders, entrapping him into a tight hug. "Theo," Draco whispered, wondering what to say. How to comfort his friend. Theo was the last of the Nott line, he had only his dad. No other siblings and his mother had passed away sometime after his birth.

"You're not alone okay?" Draco whispered.

Theo tightened his hold around Draco, body violently shuddering as he tried to keep quiet. Draco cast a quick, wandless silencio around them and let Theo cry in his arms in the middle of the corridor. He felt his throat tighten and chest heave as he struggled himself not to cry.

Draco felt a tear slip his eyes and he buried his face in Theo's hair. "I'm sorry Theo."

"Dr-Dray... my dad."

"I know."

Theo sniffed, pulling back from Draco and clenched his hands into fists. His body was still shaking and his breaths continued to remain laboured. Draco could tell Theo was trying to reign in another one of his attacks. "Do you want a Calming Draught?"