Falling in love? No thanks part 11

“Hey” I nodded to Tash as I sat down for science. She gave me a fleeting smile and quickly turned away.

“Hey there babe,” Aaron said as he reached her desk. He dropped his head and he gave Tash a kiss.

“Public display of affection, much?” I snorted. Aaron responded with a grin. I liked him, he was a funny guy. Unexpectedly we had become pretty good friends.

“Yeah you would know” Tash laughed.

“Matt, the waves look like they’re going to be pumping this arvo! You in?” Aaron asked, he was a boogy boarder and fun to hang out with.

“Defs man” I answered just as the teacher walked in.

“Quiet Everyone!” Mr Maxwell boomed. “Today we are learning about the anatomy of the human brain. Who can tell me what...” I started to zone out.

I twirled a pencil in my finger and glanced up at Tash.

“How’s it going with you and Aaron?” I asked, trying to make conversation.

“Good” She answered, sounding distant. I ignored it.

I ripped a piece of paper out of my book and scribbled a note on it, ‘surfing at the second spot instead of normal one?’ I wrote. Mr Maxwell conveniently turned around as I tossed the note at Aaron.

“Ah Matthew, you always know how to get in trouble don’t you? Would you care to read out your note to the class?” I heard Mr. Maxwells voice and felt the gaze of everyone on me. I leant back in my chair.

“It’s alright sir, that’s why I wrote it in a note” I grinned. People stifled laughs and I felt Tash groan next to me.

“I would send you outside” He frowned, “But we are getting an assignment today!” Mr Maxwell actually smiled for once.

He started to bring notes around, “It will be done in partners” suddenly the class burst into chatter about who was going with who, “Ahh ahhh, nope, you’re going with your lab partner to avoid leaving people out” A piece of paper flopped down in between of Tash and I. We both reached for it at the same time, our hands colliding with each other, my hand getting hot reminding me of the connection I felt with her. I quickly shook it off. I can’t be crushing on my friend’s girlfriend.

“Look, I know you don’t want to be partners. But let’s at least try to work well together, it’s worth 30 percent of our semester mark” I told her.

“It’s not that I don’t want to be with you. I just don’t like you” She smiled. I playfully punched her on the shoulder. 

“We should try to work on it soon since its due in a few weeks and it looks like there’s a lot to do” I started.

“I agree, how about tomorrow? Can we do it at mine though because I need to look after my brother?”

“Cool beans” I said.

“Cool beans?” She looked confused.

“Hey, who doesn’t say cool beans?” I laughed.

“Um… Normal people” We laughed together. God, her laugh was beautiful.

“What are you guys laughing at?” Aaron asked as he randomly joined in. An awkward silence settled over us.

“Just something she said” I laughed pointing at Tash.

“No way, something at you said.”

“Come on Tash, let’s go to lunch” Aaron put his arm around Tash protectively and led her away, I saw the glare he pointed at me and I shook my head.