MYSTERY

It has been several days since our close up meeting and I haven't seen him since then . I would like to tell him that his apology was accepted but it was always puzzling as to why he would do such things in the first place , if he was actually sorry about it .

On top of everything why did he always disappear for a while after each encounter with me . I was getting quite impatient and bored , since the other shadows made no efforts to look my way . However I liked watching them, given that I didn't have much better things to do .

There was this woman . She always carried her baby around . I couldn't figure out if it was a boy or a girl . I had never seen it's face until last night . It's eyes were shut in a serene slumber , showing no movement . But the prominent red slit from the corner of its left eyebrow all the way down to it's tiny little chin was anything but serene. As if it was a fragile glass doll filled with flesh and blood , and someone had dropped it due to careless mishandling , the jagged ground causing a laceration on its tender cheek . A chill ran down my spine and I felt my own cheek itch . I couldn't imagine what could have caused such great damage on such a small being .

I have to admit i was frightened out of my wits at first . But just like every other time , i got used to the horror of the mysteries around my house .

Then there was this old man , who always stood in one corner , leaning on his cane , back bent miserably , lost in nothingness . He always reminded me of a hurricane struck land . As if it's blow had created such immense havoc that not a single part had any more energy left to move . Like when you get hurt so bad that you go completely still and don't feel the need to induce motion anymore .

And the one whom I least understood ... A man with a dagger stuck on his chest . I've never seen him look anywhere but the floor . Like somehow if he shifted his glance , he would attain a curse and the dried crusty blood around his heart would be freshly flowing again .

I don't know if they can actually bleed though . But i like to make my own theories about everyone i see . Were they alive like me once ? Could they see shadows like i do when they were ? Perhaps i would never know .
I don't even know if what I know is real .

However it was getting really suffocating . I decided to get out of this cramped place for a while . I got up from my bed and went to check on the door , praying it wasn't locked .

I twisted the knob , the door creaked .

It was open .

And the hallway outside was pitch black . I guess nobody was home . I fumbled around for the light switch . Don't blame me , i rarely come out of my room . As I was moving my hands around , my palm hit something .

Or rather someone .

I froze . Too afraid to think .

I turned around and made a dash for my room . Once I reached there , i slammed the door shut and searched for my flashlight . Don't think I'm stupid for going back out there again . But if it was 'him' then I needed to go give my reply and find answers . He wouldn't harm me .

I grabbed the light and opened the door again . This time able to locate the switch and turning it on . The hallway lit up .

There was nobody .

I took a few steps forward , towards the porch door . And opened it .
There , on the steps , sat a girl with her back towards me , wearing a blue sundress , swinging her legs as she hummed to a tune .

I have never seen her before .

She stopped humming ...

... and turned around to look at me .

She grinned .