Chapter 1 Why Are We Here?

Comms: "[My pod's been hit!]"

Talking: "Everything is going to be alright, hang on!"

Thinking: 'I hope that we'll make it out alive'

—————————————————————————————————————————

Red POV

On top of The Red Base, in the early afternoon, we see Grif, Simmons, and Lizzy standing guard together. Lizzy raises her BR55 Battle Rifle, using the scope to see if she can find anything, before Simmons starts a conversation with Grif.

Simmons: "Hey."

Grif: "Yeah?"

Simmons: "You ever wonder why we're here?"

Lizzy lowers her rifle, now interested in what Grif will respond with.

Grif: "It's one of life's great mysteries, isn't it?"

Lizzy: "What do you mean by that?"

Grif: "I mean, are we the product of...some cosmic coincidence, or...is there really a God? Watching everything? Y'know, with a plan for us, and stuff? I dunno, man. But it keeps me up at night."

There is a pause where Simmons and Lizzy just stare at Grif before responding.

Lizzy: "Huh!"

Simmons: "What? I meant, why are we out here, in this canyon?"

Grif: "Oh, uh...yeah."

Lizzy: "Well I was attacked to get here."

Simmons: "Wait, I thought you got here because Red Command sent you?"

Lizzy: "Uhh...yeah, but the Blues attacked, that's why I came in a drop pod."

Lizzy: 'Hey Xi? Do you know why they were expecting me, even though I never met this Command of theirs?'

Xi: 'Someone inside the canyon informed them, and the Blue Team. Probably detected us falling from orbit.'

Lizzy: 'I see, well that's great, saved us from having to come up with a story.'

Simmons: "Sounds like something that they would do. That aside, what was all that stuff about God?"

Grif: "I don't know what you're talking about."

Simmons: "You want to talk about it?"

Grif: "No."

Lizzy: "Are you sure? You said it yourself, it keeps you up at night."

Grif: "Yep."

Grif turns away, signaling that he is done talking about it, so Simmons continues the previous topic.

Simmons: "Seriously though, why are we out here? As far as I can tell, it's just a box canyon in the middle of nowhere, with no way in or out."

Grif: "Mm-hmm."

Simmons: "The only reason that we set up a Red base here is because they have a Blue base there. And the only reason they have a Blue base over there is because we have a Red base here."

Grif: "Well yeah, that's because we're fighting each other."

Lizzy: "Do you guys even know why we're fighting The Blues in the first place?"

Simmons and Lizzy turn to stare at Grif, thinking that he will have the answer.

Grif: "Nope."

Simmons: "I don't really care anymore. If we were to pull out today, and they were to come and take our base, They would have TWO bases in the middle of a box canyon, whoop-dee-fucking-doo."