Scott Pilgrim (Platonic & Romantic Headcanons)

TW: Abandonment Issues, Social Rejection/Ostracism, Mentions of Violence, Social Chameleon, Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - I binge-read the comics.

Platonic:

Scott has a habit of ignoring the parts of a conversation that do not fit into what he wants to hear and focusing on the parts that do. When they hint at moving away or being unavailable for an extended period, Scott asks when they plan to come back since his band is having a gig soon that he wishes for them to attend. He avoids considering the possibility that his friend may not be in his life forever, as he hopes that not thinking about it will make it less likely to happen.

Stacey learns of the relationship via Julie's angry gossip and quizzes Scott over the phone, demanding an explanation for its unequal nature and calling Wallace for more details when Scott refuses to give meaningful information. Because Scott sees nothing unusual about the friendship and therefore does not think to swear his roommate to secrecy, Wallace talks and indirectly spreads the word to the rest of Sex Bob-omb. Stephen Stills urges Scott to put the band first, while Kim warns Scott not to ruin another life.

The resulting debacle finds its way back to Julie and her friend group, most notably Monique and Sandra, who are all quick to make judgemental comments about Scott's actions both behind his back and in conversations with him. Nevertheless, Scott asks the trio of women and Michael Comeau for stories about his friend. He does not understand the fuss this causes and advises his friend not to listen to any gossip about him.

Every time Julie announces a party Scott requests for his friend to go with him as emotional support, and if he wants to ditch it early or has a better idea of how to spend his time, he tells his friend to leave with him. They are the first person he brags to after doing something that he views as an accomplishment, which ranges from landing a job at The Happy Avocado to headbutting someone until they burst into coins. Scott is willing to share his bounty with his friend if they promise to use it for buying him a gift or paying for lunch at the sushi restaurant.

Whenever Scott has a quarrel with his newest girlfriend or forgets his keys again, he comes knocking on his friend's door before anyone else's in search of a place to stay for the night. Scott devotes more of his thinking to himself than he does to propriety, so he often mistakes his friend's home for his own and returns to it for multiple days in a row. Not remembering that his visit is supposed to be temporary, he acts surprised if they remind him that he does not live there.

Wallace jokingly asks if they are running an open house now until they reveal that Scott is eating all their food and not pulling his weight, after which Wallace agrees to come over and persuades Scott to leave. Scott is nonchalant about his mooching and asks if he can have sleepovers with them more often.

Romantic:

Wallace, his understanding limited to Stacey's concerns and the half-truths fed to him by Scott, finds the whole situation amusing for a while and does not think much of it outside of the times when Scott babbles to him about something he did with his partner earlier. This carefree attitude changes to a more serious one when Wallace enters the joint apartment to discover an ominous pattern. Scott spends hours waiting by the telephone for a mystery call, compulsively orders various items from online stores with Wallace's credit card, and does all this in the misguided hope that pretending to have mutual interests will strengthen his bond with his partner.

Scott is somewhat private about the relationship and does not like to share any information about it with his parents and sister, yet he panics whenever someone he knows spends time with his partner alone and demands that he be told how they met. While Scott is willing to accept that his partner may befriend some of his friends, he prefers to be there when it happens for fear that his good name will be trashed in his absence or excluded from a fond memory.

Scott enjoys introducing his partner to the other members of Sex Bob-omb and inviting them to gigs because he sees the band as another excuse to have them around him rather than somewhere else. All his past romances and the issues leading to the breakups might as well have never been, for Scott has a list of reasons why each one is now either irrelevant or fake.

When Scott has a problem with someone who his partner considers a friend or even an acquaintance, he is blunt in stating his dislike of the person. He offers weak resistance if his partner disagrees with him to his face, only to complain again the next day and claim that he forgot the previous conversation.

With the distant behaviour of Envy Adams still haunting him, Scott is pathologically worried that the slightest conflict means the end of the relationship is near. He tends to overestimate the importance of any disapproving comments and actions from his partner, repeating apologies and attempting to change himself to what he believes they prefer while asking them not to abandon him. A request for time away from him is seen as a coded message to get out of their life, and he fears that a life without them as a central part of it would be empty and hopeless.

If his partner ever does cut ties with him, Scott slips into a dark state of mind that involves losing his memory of the next year and not having the energy or motivation to do much of anything for a long time. Afterwards, he struggles to acknowledge his share of the blame and has to fight the impulse to convince himself that external factors - what he cannot control - cost him the relationship.