Chapter 11

Enjoy the chapter.

Cover art by: Notgustiarp

Chapter 11

Stepping inside, he immediately noticed the tense atmosphere.

"Why does it smell like a brewery in here?"

Glancing around, he noted the stillness in the air and tensed up. But only one thing sprang to mind. "Jaune! Summer!" He'd have bolted for the stairs if the voice from the living room hadn't cut in.

"Man, were you all always this melodramatic?" The voice burped out. "Hard to remember...."

Deep and gravely, it brought back memories of his younger days, yet his worry kept him rooted in the present.

"Qrow?! When did you...."

All wasn't well with the guy. Slicked black hair and scruffy beard, he looked exactly like he did before disappearing. But it was easy to see he'd been drinking heavily—even without the heavy stench.

"What's it to ya?"

O-Okay, ignoring that bombshell for now—boy, was that tuff. He still was worried beyond belief. "Summer!?"

"In the kitchen!" Hearing her voice was a relief as he made his way over. Yet glancing into the kitchen had all that worry immediately return.

Pots and pans bashed around as the sink was filled with unwashed dishes, all seemingly caked in batter residue. The countertops all had a thin layer of the stuff, too. All the while, Summer ran around the space like she was putting out imaginary fires. Preoccupied with cleaning other messes, he watched for a second as she nervously scrubbed away at the inside of the oven.

She's wearing that apron I got her....

Forcing that thought aside, he concentrated on how frantic she looked yet so out of focus she seemed—like she was trying to put something off with busy work. How exactly like her.

"Sum, is everything alright?" She froze. In meeting her eyes, he could vividly see the underlying dread she was holding back.

"Y-yea, why wouldn't it be?"

"No reason. Just wondering about him...." He didn't have to mention the man's name, seeing as how Summer cringed at the mere allusion.

"O-oh um, yea him."

He could understand being shocked—Brothers, he was too. So much so that he doubted his brain had really caught up with reality.

But she's not just shocked. She's downright terrified about Qrow being here. Why...

All he could feel was shocked joy mixed with a deep sense of relief that his brother, in all but blood was safe.

"Did he ask you about..." She trailed off, and when he stood there confused, all she did was glance upwards. As if afraid to mention some sort of Goliath in the room.

"Something upstairs?" All he could think of was—He blurted out the instant he made the connection. "Is Jaune okay!?"

"Shhhh! Stop!" She pushed into him, trying to cover his mouth, but he wasn't having it.

"Summer, if something's wrong I have to know." He wasn't gonna be left in the dark. Not anymore.

Thankfully she seemed to realize that he wouldn't accept anything less than a straight answer. She sighed, pushing past him, and hugging the kitchen entranceway she glanced around it. Apparently satisfied, they locked eyes again.