Chapter Twenty-Seven

The next day, Mercy did everything in her power to push all thoughts of her father from her brain and tried to enjoy herself. It wasn't easy. Jax had talked the whole group into making a visit to nearby Yellowstone National Park. After that, they got back on the road.

Over the course of the ride, they stopped eight times and managed to see Mount Rushmore and the Grand Canyon. Their first stop was in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, when they reached the east coast. Because the whole town was basically one big tourist trap. Gemma, with Clap's approval, had arranged for a three-day stopover. It would be their last stop before they made it to their final destination in Florida.

While in Tennessee, they visited Dollywood, the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum and more than one of the area's many gift shops. Then Mercy had made the mistake of agreeing to a group trip to the crime museum in town. When she had accepted Gemma's invitation, she thought that the museum was dedicated to older crimes, like the Lindberg baby kidnapping or the hunt for John Dillinger. Sure, there were exhibits dedicated to those crimes, but the museum also housed something else, something she hadn't been expecting.

It was sitting on a large pedestal beside Ted Bundy's VW bug. It was a much nicer vehicle than Bundy's, a cherry-red 1969 Dodge challenger. Below it was affixed a plaque.

*** This car was owned by convicted serial killer Cameron Clyde aka the Tacoma Gentleman. This car is believed to have been used in the commission of Clyde's crimes, which were committed in the state of Washington during the 1970s. Clyde was executed in 1989 for crimes committed in the state of Texas. ***

"Oh shit," Gemma muttered from beside her after reading the plaque. "Mercy, sweetie, I swear to you that I didn't know this was here."

Mercy gave the older woman a weak smile. "I know you didn't. It's okay." It was okay, but Mercy certainly wasn't. God had a mean sense of humor sometimes.

"What's going on?" Happy inquired once he and the guys were done checking out Bonnie and Clyde's death car.

Jax was the first one to read the plaque. "Shit," he muttered.

Mercy couldn't bring herself to speak, so Gemma pointed out the plaque to Happy. Once he read it, he wrapped his arm around her waist. "Come on, baby. Let's get you out of here."