Chapter 15: The Alpha

Eamon's POV

Once we managed to sneak out of the room without any trouble, a strange feeling washed over me as I surveyed the scene outside. The entire area surrounding the castle was eerily deserted, not a soul in sight.

Sheira glanced around, her confusion evident. "Where did everyone go? And what happened to the guards?"

"We're late. Go to the king's room, now!" I urged as I rushed, Sheira followed closely behind as we hurried down the hallway towards the king's quarters, anxious to uncover the truth.

"The room is at the end of this hall. We should pick up the pace," I remarked, my tone firm and resolute.

Upon reaching the room, my suspicions were confirmed. It was in complete disarray, shattered glass scattered across the floor as if a violent tremor had shaken the very foundations.

Sheira's voice trembled as she whispered, "The... King."

She sank to her knees, overwhelmed by regret, tears streaming down her cheeks. With a touch of unexpected empathy, I watched as she wiped them away with a trembling arm.

Kneeling beside her, I reached into my pocket and offered a handkerchief. "Here," I said, my voice softer than usual.

Sheira accepted the handkerchief, her sobs still echoing in the room, as she gently wiped her tear-stained face.

Something's odd. There is no blood here, this should prove the fact that the King is not murdered here. But there is still a possibility that he was killed elsewhere.

I combed through the room, searching for any clues, but my efforts proved fruitless. No lifeless bodies, just broken remnants scattered about. What in the world had taken place within these walls?

"Sheira, we need to get out of here," I stated firmly, a sense of urgency in my voice.

Sheira looked up, her confusion giving way to a glimmer of understanding. "Where should we go?"

"To the place where it all began," I replied, my determination unwavering.

Together, we swiftly departed from the castle, carrying with us the weight of our discoveries and the map, ready to inform the troops and unravel the enigma that lay ahead.

"Hey, hold up," I called out to Sheira, signaling her to stop. My eyes narrowed as I noticed a figure lurking behind a nearby building. It was that scumbag, what a timing.

"Sheira!" I exclaimed. We halted our steps, fully aware of the potential danger that loomed before us. The figure, positioned menacingly behind the building, seemed poised to strike at any moment.

I instinctively moved closer to Sheira, my protective instincts kicking in. If this guy decided to make a move, I knew Sheira would be in harm's way. Judging by his posture and gestures, it was clear he was ready to launch an attack without warning.

Sheira's POV

As Sheira, I couldn't help but wonder what was going through his mind. We were in a hurry, yet he found the time to pause and engage in idle chatter. I caught his gaze, only to realize he was staring at the building behind me, a nondescript old house.

"What caught your eye?" I asked.

To my surprise, he turned to me, his eyes meeting mine with an intensity that took me aback.

"Find Yuri," he said, his voice urgent, "Lead the army with him to the lair. I'll stay here."

His words tumbled out in a rush, as if he was running out of time. But why would he stay behind? He was one of our strongest soldiers, we needed him.