Not Home

For each step we take, it pains me to leave behind my sister, who so kindly accepted me so many years ago. But now, I could no longer stand with her. I had two options. I die with them, encompassing their beliefs as a Corven. Or, I live and follow my own beliefs, but knowingly abandon my family at their death.

The decision I make is neither right or wrong. Whatever I choose has no effect on their outcome nor the pending change in Home's future leadership. That is the key difference of their decisions and mine. The Corvens caused this outcome. The Corvens got everyone killed. The Corvens destroyed the trust with the First Order.

I am not a Corven. My name is Maeve.

General Hux and I continue to link arms as we make our way through the endless hallways of the estate. Distant yelling echo from afar. The agonizing screams suddenly stop and a dark silence over takes the air. Kylo Ren twirls around the corner with his glowing red lightsaber. It's ominous glow eventually disappears into the handle.

"It's done. We leave now. There is nothing here for us." Kylo states electronically through the mask.

General Hux let's go of my arm to allow Kylo to walk by my side. "Did you kill Lady and Lord Corven?" I ask bluntly. I attempt to distance myself from their beloved names of mother and father.

"What did you expect from a monster like me?"

I contemplate on my thoughts before answering. "They did it to themselves." I follow Kylo out the main doors and down the stairway outside. "Say Kylo, how exactly am I an asset to the First Order? What is my purpose?"

"It's quite surprising you haven't noticed yet. Do you remember the surge of force when I entered your room?" He takes off his helmet and carries it at his side.

"I guess you could call it that. I wasn't so sure what it was."

We continue our walk to Kylo Ren's ship on the pavement. I take in the beautiful orange sunset over the dark plum silhouette of the mountains one last time. My hair flows in the warm wind as the grass rustles once more. The wild flowers are finally in full bloom.

Kylo turns to me as we wait for the hangar door to open.

"What you felt is called The Force."