Chapter 10: Who Have You Become?

A/N: Two chapters in one month, what is this Enigmatic Beginnings???

~Elliott POV~

When Elliott woke up, he turned to his side and smiled as even though his eyes were closed, he knew he was going to wake up next to Josh. The ghostly form of Josh hadn't left Elliott's side since he had completed the spell to see him and they had now formed some semblance of a routine, albeit an absurd one.

"How cute did I look when I was sleeping tonight?" Elliott asked as he opened his eyes.

"Very." Josh answered with a soft smile.

"Only very? Not amazingly? Unbelievably?" Elliott teased.

Elliott ran his fingers across where Josh's cheek would be and almost cried at the lack of contact. He gazed wistfully at his lost love and thought about all the missteps on their path.

"I'm sorry." Elliott whispered.

"For what?" Asked an incredibly confused Josh.

"I should have—"

"Elliott, get up."

Elliott shot straight up at Anastasia's voice. He smiled back at her, but she was more concerned with the ghoul laying alongside him.

"Can you see him?" Anastasia asked.

"See who?" Elliott did his best to ensure his voice didn't waver as he spoke to her.

"Josh."

"He's here?"

"He's always here." She sneered with a pointed glare directly at Josh.

"Oh. Well I wouldn't know." He shrugged and got to his feet, to press a kiss to Anastasia's cheek. "Who cares anyway?"

"Don't you?"

"No." Elliott took care not to make eye contact with Josh as he spoke. And with good reason to as Josh looked as heartbroken as could be. "Josh is gone. You're the one who's been there for me all along."

Anastasia beamed back at Elliott and pulled him in for a kiss that made Josh's ghostly stomach churn. But what hurt him even more was seeing Elliott pull away with an adoring smile. Because Josh knew it didn't matter what he did. At the end of the day, Elliott always went back to Anastasia.

"I have good news." She told him.

"What is it?"

"The convergence is ready."

Elliott's heart dropped through to the floor and if Josh's heart were still beating it would have done the same. Anastasia was beaming with pride, but Elliott could only focus on the feel of his heartbeat in his feet.

"What do you mean?"

"I've gathered all the ingredients. The eclipse is almost upon us." Anastasia listed off.

"What about Fiore?"

"Her power has been ready for quite some time." The witch said with a shrug. "And I have some tentative plans in place in case my sister continues to disappoint."

"What if I'm not ready?" Elliott asked, his body trembling with fear.

"There's nothing to worry about, Ellie." Anastasia cupped his cheeks in her palm and smiled in earnest. "Everything is going according to plan."

He smiled half-heartedly and pulled her into a tight hug, but he couldn't help but lock eyes with Josh. The same thought was running through both of their minds—neither of them were going to like Anastasia's plan.