Chapter 37: Powerless

A/N: Happy Enigma Day!

"What is this?" Klaus asked as he lay beside me, eyes filled with concern.

Never a moment of peace with this one. I lay on my back beside him, and turned to face him with a teasing smile.

"Good sex?" He frowned. "Sorry, great sex."

"I'm being serious," he continued, refusing to bend. "What is this? What are we doing? What am I to you?"

"Haven't you had enough of big questions today?" I asked with a frustrated sigh.

"How convenient for you to tire of questions after having answered none," he retorted.

"Fine. The answer is there is no answer," I replied honestly. "The love I had for you is clearly still lingering, but there are more important parts of my life to reconcile before I start thinking about how I feel about you."

"The audacity of you giving me an ultimatum when you yourself have made no decision," he said as he furiously got out of bed and rushed to get dressed.

"Don't be so dramatic," I said with a roll of my eyes. "It's not like you're so sure."

He stopped in place and turned to me with an incredulous look. "Excuse me?"

"I've killed her twice now and it's gone the same way," I continued, getting to my feet as well. "I give you the chance to set her free and you keep her around because deep down you're not sure of me."

"Is that what you think?"

"Are you going to try and deny it?"

"I CARED ABOUT HER!" He yelled. "And you made me watch her die. Twice. And in spite of all that I am still here, Fiore! With you! Because there is no circumstance, no scenario, no world where I don't love you. So don't you dare cast aspersions on how I feel about you. It is always love. Even when it wasn't."

I held his stare for a second longer, to see if I would crack. But I didn't, so instead I smiled.

"I used to feel stupid, every time I fell for another one of your great declarations," I told him. "But now I see the truth."

"What truth?"

"You are very good at them. Lord knows you've had practice," I continued. "I mean for you to stand there and scream about how much you love me a few feet away from the smouldering pile of girlfriend, it is truly magnificent."

"Fiore—"

"Did you think I was worried?" I asked him. "Did you think that for a second I thought you and Amelia were going to walk off into the sunset? I wasn't a choice because if the answer is me, there are no other options. And for you, I am always the answer because who else would put up with you? Who else can turn their back on a thousand years of hurt and pain but me? I didn't kill Amelia because I was jealous of her, I have nothing to envy. I killed her to punish you. To remind you, that of the many many things I have turned a blind eye to, sharing you will never be one of them."

He looked hurt by my words—good. But then he said something I wasn't expecting.

"Is that what you think?" He asked me. "That I love you...that I want to be with you because you've forgiven me my trespasses?"

I shrugged. "Am I wrong?"

"Of course not! I love you because—"

"No thank you, I've hit my quota on Klaus speeches for the day." I said as I got dressed. "If you'll excuse me, I have one of those real problems to solve that isn't your extra-marital affairs."