Twenty-four

Savio

She's brighter than the sun on the sand as she leads me down the beach, her hair loose behind her. Underneath her gauzy white wrap, I can see her bikini and all her soft curves. We're both holding cones of gelato that she insisted we buy from the overpriced stand further up the beach. It feels strange to follow her in between all the tourists on their towels and kids building sandcastles, holding hands like we're just a couple on vacation.

Part of me recoils, reminded of the uncomfortable lunch cruise and the way we tried to lie to ourselves. This time, however, she sees all of me, looking unflinchingly through me at every piece of my soul. She knows that there's a mafia soldier on the rocks above the beach, keeping an eye on me to make sure I'm not turning traitor. She knows how naked I feel without my gun strapped to my chest. And yet she still wants me to walk down the beach with her, to try something I've never experienced before. I smile at last, speeding up to walk by her side.

I gently grab her wrist, avoiding the bandage that covers her cuts and bruises, and take a bite of her mint gelato. When she tries to retaliate, I dodge and hold my own cone above my head, out of her reach. No matter how she jumps and tugs at my arm, she can't make me move. I kiss her face again and again as she struggles, getting more and more annoyed before collapsing in giggles.

There's so much raw pain left inside of me, important pieces of my life that have been roughly ripped out and thrown away. Without my revenge plans against her and Vincente, I no longer know myself nearly as well as she seems to know me. I can't even hear my father's voice, the gentle rumble wishing me happy birthday that has played a million times over in my head, goading me on. Telling myself that it's because I put his soul to rest makes me feel better, but I'm not sure I believe it. Just like the scars Natalia carries from her years of abuse, some things don't resolve that easily.

The hundreds of noisy sunbathers and even the spy on the ridge disappear as Natalia leads me through a small gap in the rocks, water coming up to our knees. A tiny, private beach appears in front of us. I can see why no one else bothered to come here; the beach is rocky and dirty, littered with washed-up trash. Trust Natalia to get so starry-eyed she doesn't even notice.

A small sun shade and blanket on the far side of the beach catch my eye. Natalia's practically dragging me toward it. The whole idea of me noticing the surprise organically doesn't work when she's so over-excited to get me there. My eyebrows lift when I notice a wicker basket next to the blanket. She turns on me, waiting to see my reaction, and I can't help but chuckle. It feels good to laugh in spite of myself. "Yes, little bird, I see it."

"Luca set it up for me this morning," she babbles, opening the basket before I get a chance to. I can't believe my ears. Luca got back from the meeting at five in the morning, haggard with worry. When he saw me intact and holding the golden coin, he forgot himself and threw his arms around me. In theory, he should serve Giovanni now, but Giovanni dismissed him before Luca could even say a word.

"I don't want you mooning around here," he snapped. "Get back to your master."

His nervous energy and uncharacteristic sappiness have lasted all week. Natalia must have used them to cajole him to set up this surprise. She's pulling grapes and figs and some kind of iced tray of shrimp from the basket, talking nervously. When she glances at me to see if I like it, I catch the back of her neck and pull her toward me, kissing her lips, sweet with gelato and salty with Mediterranean breezes. When we pull apart, she's squinting up at me mischievously. "What else do you have in mind?" I tease.

She forgets all about the food, pushing it to the edge of the blanket. "Lie down."

"Ok." I collapse on my back, throwing my arm over my face to block the sun. She tugs my arm away and puts it at my side.

Trying to drop her voice, she gives an exaggerated imitation of my own voice, glaring at me. "I'm going to do whatever I want to you. You're not allowed to even move."

I turn my face away to hide my expression, but my whole body is shaking with suppressed laughter. When she straddles me, running her hands up my bare torso, all my laughter disappears. I stare into her eyes as she toys with me, marveling at her. She's strong and ridiculous and impulsive, and she's everything I didn't know I needed.