Chapter 18

The night of the ball arrived and I hadn't seen or heard anything from Rafe in over a week.

Pagnall residents had flocked to Mrs Horton's home and were now milling around in the grand surroundings of the main hall while coven members plied them with Immemor - spiked Champagne. Once inside the system, Immemor made the consumer more susceptible to certain suggestions like persuading them the spider demon they saw was actually a bare tree swaying in the breeze. Immemor was powerful stuff.

The invitation, it seemed, had been a clue to the night's décor theme. Opulent black with trimmings of white lace and gold. Plumes of lengthy ostrich feathers exploded out of slender flumes in the middle of the tables like a colourless firework. From the ceiling hung elegant drapes of black gossamer in between the ornate crystal chandeliers and paper pom-poms. In the middle of the room, a towering fountain made of cool gold alternated between sprouting dark and white water. A string quartet played away in the corner.

Gran deserted us for Mrs Horton's company as soon as we arrived, the beads of her twenties-inspired dress swaying in her wake. Looking around, I felt a touch conscious being the only one who'd opted for a short dress, but any of the ball gowns bouncing around Mrs Horton's home would have drowned me. I didn't buy a new dress this year either, choosing to wear Gran's favourite midnight blue with a silk bodice and bell-shaped tulle skirt. Silver sparkles adorned the material like stars which glittered when they caught the light.

Fawn stood alone by the fountain, gloved arms wrapped around her slim waist. I caught her eye and beckoned her over to us. Relief came in a shy smile. She was a vision in sweeping burgundy lace. Her hair had been pinned up in a romantic messy bun which showed off the length and grace of her neck. As she neared, I dived for her, wrapping her in a warm embrace.

"How's your arm?" She pulled away, tugging gently on my wounded limb, where bandages lay hidden beneath dark blue sleeves - another reason I'd chosen this dress.

"Still stings but it's okay."

"You look beautiful," Arden grinned, and kissed her on both cheeks.

Fawn fiddled with the lace on her sleeve. "Thank you."

I scanned the crowd for Gran as Arden and Fawn exchanged pleasantries. She was deep in conversation with Mrs Horton and some people from Pagnall. Her smiles and peeling laughter on show for all to see. They came too easy, an act she had perfected for years. My grandmother, the liar.

"Fawn! Fawn!"

"Oh no, it's Mum." Fawn shrivelled like a dying flower petal.

Fawn's mother, Laura Underhill, rushed up, cheeks bright and a little out of breath. "Fawn, I need your help; Mrs Horton has decided I'm in charge of hors d'oeuvres and I need an extra pair of hands. Hello, Riley. Oh, I don't think we have met."

"Mum, this is Arden Jones. He's from America and you did meet him, the day I learned I was a shifter in the High Witch's office."

"Ah. I think I remember. Pleasure." Laura's face remained deadpan, and she kept her long, slim fingers by her side. Fawn was the double of her in appearance alone. "Come now Fawn, you can talk with your friends later."

Fawn gave a weak smile. "I'll catch up with you both later."

I gave her a little wave as she was dragged away.

"So, what do you make of all this?" Arden asked.

Together we surveyed the room. Gran and Mrs Horton now glided between the guests, greeting, kissing cheeks and shaking hands. I spotted Kat's flame-red hair as she stood beside her parents. Gran turned and pointed in our direction as if Kat had asked about me.