The perfect plan

It’s 6:56 pm when Jack is standing in front of Gibbs’s door

It’s 6:56 pm when Jack is standing in front of Gibbs’s door. In her mind she curses Ellie for talking her into this. Asking Gibbs if she can come by in the evening has been stupid. She was surprised that he said yes. He even told her when to come, but the whole time he looked weird at her. 6:57 pm. She should probably ring the doorbell. Gibbs told her to meet at 7 and she’s never been late. So why does she hesitate now? Now she curses herself. Why the hell did she even say to Ellie that she would ask him? She knew she would be to nervous to ring the doorbell.

Flashback

Ellie is waiting in her office when Jack walks in. “Hey, Jack”, says Ellie grinning and hugs her friend. Jack knows that her friend is up to something, but since she doesn’t know what it is she doesn’t ask her. Maybe she isn’t grinning because of her, but because of Nick. Maybe they finally confessed their feelings to each other. Ellie closes the door. “Ellie, is something wrong?”, asks Jack. She doesn’t suspect anything yet. “No, not really. But we need your help. Gibbs is acting weird around us lately and he isn’t answering our questions. Well, my questions. Torres and McGee are too scared to ask questions”, says Ellie a bit nervous. “He yelled at you, didn’t he?”, asks Jack. Ellie nods. “What can I do?”, asks Jack, sympathizing with her younger colleague. She has also noticed that Gibbs is acting more aggressive lately. “Can you try to talk with him? You’re a psychologist, maybe you can find out what’s wrong with him”, asks Ellie and looks nervous at the door. “I can try”, says Jack. “Thank you, Jack”, says Ellie relieved. “Sure. Why were you grinning when you came in?”, asks Jack curious. “Because you have lollies in your office”, says Ellie with a small smile.

End of Flashback

At 6:59 pm Gibbs is looking nervous at the door. He made dinner for him and Jack. He knows exactly why she wanted to talk to him. But he is scared. Scared, that she won’t show up. Scared, that she won’t like the food. Scared, that she will yell at him. Scared, that she will leave. He just wants to talk to her in private. Tell her how he feels for her, what he wants. But without her, he can’t do it. He needs her to feel complete.

Flashback

Some days earlier. Ellie is sitting at her desk working. She is the only one from the team sitting there when Gibbs enters it. He goes right to her. “Gibbs?”, asks Ellie surprised. “Ellie, I need your help. We talk on the roof”, says Gibbs. Ellie nods surprised and stands up.
On the roof, Gibbs leads her to the corner with the chair. “How can I help you, Gibbs?”, Ellie asks surprised. Gibbs hesitates. Ellie just stands there, waiting for him to talk. Gibbs takes a deep breath before he starts talking. “I’m pretty sure you know that I love J... have feelings for Jack. But I don’t know 2 things. Does she feel the same? And how should I tell her? I don’t wanna do it at work. I don’t wanna tell her in this building. Tim and Nick could hear it”, says Gibbs and looks at the sky. Ellie looks at him. “Gibbs, I know that she feels the same for you. Don’t ask me how, but I know it. How you should tell her is up to you. I'm sure you’ll know how”, says Ellie. Gibbs turns his head to look at her. “Where should I tell her? Should I ask her out? Because I’m not sure if I can do it or if she even says yes”, says Gibbs. Ellie takes his hand and thinks for a moment. “I have a plan, but you might not like it”, says Ellie. Gibbs sighs. Hopefully it’s nothing embarrassing. “What is it?”, he asks. “You need to act different. Maybe more aggressive. It has to be for some days. I’ll then ask Jack if she can try to talk to you. I’m sure that she’ll say yes. When she comes to talk to you, you tell her that you’ll tell her after work at your house”, explains Ellie. Gibbs nods, glad that Ellie has a plan.

End of Flashback

It’s 7 pm. Jack finally rings the doorbell. Gibbs, who has been waiting nervous right behind the door, opens it. They look at each other. “Do you want to come in?”, asks Gibbs nervous. As Jack nods, Gibbs let’s her in. “Will you tell me now what’s bothering you?”, asks Jack. She is at least as nervous as Gibbs. “Actually it’s nothing. Well, not really... it... it’s you”, says Gibbs. While he was saying that he took a step closer to her and took her hands in his. “What? What did I do?”, asks Jack shocked and confused. Gibbs looks at her with love in his eyes. “Nothing except for always making me feel better. You make me feel complete and I hope you feel the same. Jack, I... I love you”, says Gibbs shy. Jack looks speechless at him. She isn’t sure if she understood what he just said to her. “Jack? Please say something”, begs Gibbs. Jack takes her hands out of his and takes one more step to him. Their faces are now just some centimeters apart. She cups his cheeks with her hands and leans forward to kiss him. After some minutes they break apart, out of air. “That was a hell of a plan. I definitely need to talk to you about that”, Jack says smiling. “Actually, it has been Ellies plan”, says Gibbs, taking her hand and leading her to the dining room. Jack sits down at the table and Gibbs serves the food. He then sits down next to her and they start eating. Very slowly because they can’t stop looking at each other.